VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Manual Tranny Gear Oil Change

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Biodiesel uh60 tdi 
#1 ·
Hi! I am in the middle of changing the gear oil on my 2006 VW Jetta TDI. New on this forum too. The reason I opened an account, is because there was a really helpful page on here, a DIY step-by-step, outlining the steps to change the gear oil, and ensure it is filled to the specified level (above the fill hole). However, I reloaded the page, and it seems the page was taken down. I would post the link, but it will not allow me since this is my first post to prevent spam (the post is written by the guy who also shows how to raise your car via cribbing). However, I would like advice: I have drained the oil from the drain plug, and then also locked the shifter pin, which I hope I did right, but again the instructions are taken down... I turned the pin upwards, and then removed the outermost bolt on the underside. However, no oil came out. I only got about .5L. The car is level, and I had planned on dropping the back end, and using a pump to put the correct amount back in (as the page had advised, rather than filling via the reverse switch as per the service bulletin). I am changing the oil due to a squeak when I shift. The oil does have a lot of filings, and is brown. Any advice?

#3 ·
I’m going to revive this post in hopes for some answers as well... I’ve got an 06 Jetta TDI 5 speed with about 168k miles on it, when it’s warm after driving a bit it will grind the synchros when shifting into second gear. I followed the instructions in this link and only got a liter out. It was about half a liter from the drain plug and another half from the shifter pin. I added back the liter I took out using royal purple max 75/90 as no one had a GL4 fluid in town. After taking it for a spin, shifting gears seems to require a little more force and I still get a grind but now in 3rd gear. How can I tell if the trans is actually full. Haven’t seen any leaks and after 168k miles I’m sure it was full from the beginning but it would be nice to know for sure it’s full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.