VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to share my findings after fitting a new MAF to a 108k mile tdi 130 (moded)....... car now feels super fit especially in the mid range with better mpg and less smoke under load. Can't believe the difference. The car has 380ftlbs and over 200bhp and really feels like it could pull a train.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clean MAF sensor

I was having power problems in my stock TDI Jetta, Ifound out that the dealer wanted $240 for a new MAF sensor, I figured that the problem was with this since the guy who was the previous owner had installed a K&N filter on it. He hadn't changed it for some time nor the fuel filter. When I changed these, and cleaned out the intake/EGR and EGR cooler, I noticed an increase in power, but it was still lacking greatly and only getting 35 mpg. I took the advice of this site and cleaned the residue out of the MAF and when I put it back together I was able to lay a 40' patch of rubber up my street!
The method was using a non-residue electrical cleaner and air nozzle from an air compressor. It was definitely worth trying before purchasing a new one!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Are you on the seatcupra.net site Mr Rooney? Just a place for us Seat drivers. I like the sound of your car though.:D

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was having power problems in my stock TDI Jetta, Ifound out that the dealer wanted $240 for a new MAF sensor, I figured that the problem was with this since the guy who was the previous owner had installed a K&N filter on it. He hadn't changed it for some time nor the fuel filter. When I changed these, and cleaned out the intake/EGR and EGR cooler, I noticed an increase in power, but it was still lacking greatly and only getting 35 mpg. I took the advice of this site and cleaned the residue out of the MAF and when I put it back together I was able to lay a 40' patch of rubber up my street!
The method was using a non-residue electrical cleaner and air nozzle from an air compressor. It was definitely worth trying before purchasing a new one!
I paid £87 for the whole MAF unit from a VW dealer which wasn't to bad. These things must slowly reduce in performance over time like a worn tyre. Cleaning the wire is a good cheap way of fixing things i guess. I used a K&N for over 70k miles but im now running a std paper filter as recomended on this site and feel no loss of performance.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
"Yes im on seatcupra forum as bubbles1 (it's my dogs name btw) also on northloop forum as mr rooney."

Actually I think you already told me that lol I need more sleep.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts