VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Jetta TDI has just 6300 miles on it but being one year old, was due for it's first oil and filter change. I made an appointment at the dealership where I bought the car and had that done. I live quite a way from the shop so it was not until I had gone about sixty miles that I checked the oil level in the engine and was surprised to see that the dip stick indicated level in the "MUST add oil" range. Fortunately the engine did not lose oil pressure during that sixty miles. My owner's manual said capacity of the diesel engine with filter was 4.2 quarts or 4.0 liters and the dealer's invoice indicated four quarts had been used in the refill. But, about five months after I took delivery of the car I received by regular mail a single page Supplement to the owner's manual for USA 2.0L TDI engines in Jetta sedans which reads "The engine oil capacity of the engine has been modified to Approximately 4.5 quarts / 4.3 liters." So I called the dealer's service department and informed my Service Consultant of the problem. He seemed puzzled as his computer indicated the 4.2 quart capacity and asked that I e-mail him a copy of the Supplement which I did. We also speculated that perhaps all their 2010 TDI engine owner's having brought their cars in for the initial oil change drove out of the shop a half-quart shy of lube oil in their engines. I used to change my own oil but am beyond that at this point in my life.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
You don't actually say which engine, hp or engine code Ronny just a 2011 Jetta. The 2.0D TDI CR has a 4.3 Ltr capacity. The 1.6 TDI CR is the same capacity.

Just talking about Jetta's I was just reading another forum and the topic was Whats up with the 2011 jetta???? He says 115 hp,drum brakes in the back,cheap interior........ I don't know where he is from there is no location.

I didn't know they fitted drum brakes on the rear unless they have gone back to it in 2011.

I went on the VW UK site just to check and guess what they don't even advertise the Jetta anymore in the UK. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
IIRC there's a difference in the dipstick which determines how much oil you get. Go by the dipstick, not by how much oil the dealer says you need based off the VIN number.

The 2011 Jetta has drum brakes in rear and the 115 hp 2.slow engine in base config. No armrest, unpainted side view mirrors....but it's a very low price now as well. The Euro Jetta and higher end models have rear disc brakes, painted side view mirrors, etc. Maybe the Jetta will come back next year in the UK. The Jetta is by far the best seller in the States, the Golf not so much. It's reversed the rest of the world.:dunno

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
offtopic2

Ok thats probably the base model Jetta that they are talking about. But its funny that the Jetta isn't available in the UK anymore since its been made since 1979 but its still available in other countries. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The climax of the above problem was that the dealer's Service Consultant FedEx'd me a liter of VW 507 spec, 5W30 lube oil which is not readily available in my area. I added a tad less than half of this which brought the level on my engine's dipstick up into the middle of the correct range from the add oil range. End of story. Ronny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts