VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

LSD use in Mexico instead of USLD in VW Sportwagen TDI?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  139cds 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2011 TDI Sportswagon and at least for the first 600 miles, I'm tickled pink. This is my first diesel so I have a lot to learn and this forum seems to be a major source of reliable albeit diverse info. One thing that concerns me is the lack of history with this new engine design. Does anyone have a feel for the magnitude of the problems resulting form occasional use of LSD as opposed to ULSD ie; If it became necessary to run 3-5 tanks of LSD while visiting Mexico, would this have a significant affect on the motor or emission system?

#3 ·

I can count, but that wasn't the question. I am asking if anyone has actual experience with LSD in the new TDIs. I know several folks who have traveled extensively in Mexico using LSD in post 2009 pickups and RVs without apparent effect except more frequent regeneration cycles. Long term, there may be other problems.
I don't intend to do anything until I understand and can accept the consequences.

#6 ·
I'd actually rent a gasser for the trip, it'll be much cheaper than the possible damage you'll do to the dpf.

Best case you will diminish its life tremendously. Your car also has tiny flap valves in 4 of the intake ports which would be a good place for deposits to form and lower your car's performance. Oh and the exhaust flap valve could be vulnerable as well.

You will also void any engine and emissions warranties your car carries, as your car is only spec'd to run on ULSD.

That's me, of course. You do what you want.

P.

#7 ·
AFAIK, Mexico has implemented ULSD for on-road use.

The low sulfur automotive diesel grade (first introduced as Diesel Sin) replaced the earlier standard diesel of 5000 ppm (0.5%) sulfur.

The regulation sets automotive diesel fuel sulfur levels at 500 ppm with a scheduled reduction to 15 ppm. The following is the phase-in schedule for ultra-low sulfur (15 ppm) on-road diesel:

•February 2007—Northern frontier region that borders the USA,
•February 2009—Metropolitan regions of Guadalajara, Monterrey and the Valle de México,
•September 2009—Nationwide.

#9 ·
LSD use in Mexico instead of ULSD

PEMEX is importing ULSD from The U.S. to supply stations in the northern border region. However, the rest of their schedule for supplying the remainder of the country has been revised a couple of times but never implemented. I suspect that PEMEXs' economic problems have something to do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.