VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first post. I found you during some research on a problem I'm having. A little background on myself and the problem car. I am a certified ASE master technician at an independent shop in Tallahassee, FL and have just come across our first case of cam wear. It is a 2006 Jetta with the BRM engine. When it arrived it had plenty of power but noisy under a load. We opted to replace the entire head for fear of a lubrication issue had worn the bearings as well. Installed the new head adjusted the injector rockers both off and on the car with the proper gauges. Starts and idles like there's no problem but lacks power. We have AllData and the VCDS tool. It is setting no codes and generates a readiness code. It acts like a bad MAF sensor but it is not (tried a new one). Vacuum lines are run correctly. The only thing unusual during the job is one of the charge air pipes popped loose the first time I revved the engine (may not have been clipped in all the way). The last vehicle that behaved this way had an EGR problem but it was an earlier rotary pump model. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
How was the timing belt set? Take a look in the FAQ, the car is very finicky on setting cam torsion (timing) because the fuel injectors are pressurized by the cam as you have found out. There's a FAQ article on it w/video. It's engine measuring blocks through VCDS, group 4. If it were way off it should throw a code for cam sensor. And of course, there's no rags stuffed in the intake :)

FYI, you can replace the bearings in this head. It's more of a design problem combined with thin oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked timing again and it was perfect. One thing I noticed is that the EGR specs are off when I am adapting but appear normal in measuring blocks after adaptation. Meanwhile I'm going to tear it back down. Let you know what I find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts