VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the code checked, and the result is 16683 Turbo/supercharger underboost. There is also oil on the intercooler, about halfway up. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I am 100 miles from a competent mechanic. (Most dont even want to fool with it)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re. Low power

The code we got from the reader indicated a "low boost" condition. My actuator is electrically controlled and is moving when you rev the engine. Also a fair amount of oil drained from the tube below the intercooler. Test driving again it seemed to be working properly at times but not continuously. W.T.F?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's only semi electrically controlled, it is vacuum controlled from a solenoid. The black thing on the end is a sensor to detect its position.

A light splash of oil in the intake is normal and is from the crank case vent. It settles in the low spots. A cupful is too much and could indicate a bigger problem like a blown turbo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it probably was not a cup but way more than a splash. I am now looking for a new turbo, and I thank you for your assistance with this issue and I am quite pleased that this forum works as it does. Minor gearheads like me need this stuff.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you drive with a light foot, maybe a 1/4-1/3 cup is OK. If you step on it, this is good for the engine, it will blow out the buildup in the intake and also help burn up and blow out the buildup in the engine and exhaust/turbo. I wouldn't get a new turbo just yet, I would do some more digging around the engine bay. Yes it's possible to have a bad turbo but most of the time it's something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts