VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 road trips I have taken my low oil pressure warning light has come on when going up extended 5% grade twisty mountain passes and only during those driving conditions. I stop and check the oil and I have only been 1/4 to 1/2 low on the dip stick. This is a 96 passat wagon running synthetic Mobile 1 5/40 diesel oil @ 10,000 change intervals. Any insight on where to begin tracking this problem down would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I was planning on switching brands and my trusted VW mechanic said that he remembers a lot of 90's era VW having sensitive pressure sensors and that they would routinely switch to a higher viscosity, he recommended 10 W 40. I will check out the sensor for leaks as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
tb113409 I have a 97 Passat TDI that did the exact same thing about a year ago and has never done it again. I went to Amsoil 5w-30 oil and NAPA oil filter which is made by Wixs and have never had that problem again in about 40,000 miles. I do take it a little easier when climbing passes now. I did change oil at shorter intervals after that a couple times and now have over 10,000 on the oil and just now changing it. Did you find anything on your engine to repair?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing that I have found is an oil leak around the engine oil cooler so I am changing the o-ring between cooler and flange and the gasket between the cooler and block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts