VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 Jetta 2.0

Does anyone know where I can start??? It sounds like something is broken...noise is coming from drivers side. Thanks

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
2.0? Probably a really bad CV joint. It starts as clicking when you turn the wheel to the side. Then it gets worse. Then the joint gets really bad and grinds and pops. It's not safe to drive on a CV joint that is far gone.

It could be a suspension bushing or loose component, if you had the car recently worked on it's a possibility.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You should really do some more testing and get it checked out before driving any further. If something is broken, grinding, and "LOUD", then please have it checked out by a professional mechanic before driving.

CV joint is a possibility, I doubt it's the brakes but it's possible. Something to do with suspension, maybe a broken component. Loud grinding noises aren't bushings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks..not driving it..noise sounded to serious to ignore..

Will have someone check CV joints...I know I need new suspension but it didn't sound like the grinding was coming from there...could be though..

It really got loud when I would turn the steering wheel..and it was more like a "crack and grind"...from below the car..Almost felt like my wheels were going to fall off!:eek

Do you all think I need a "VW" mechanic or any mechanic that works with CV's or suspension will do?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yes, a clack and grind sounds like badly damaged CV joints. Any mechanic can examine CV and suspension. Nothing special about the VW suspension.

The only note is that the anti-roll bars aka. sway bar bushings tend to get worn out by 100,000 miles. But this would not cause that noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found out...neighbor who works at service dept of local VW dealership found the problem...Broken Tire rod end on passanger side...maybe even the tire rod..

Where it screws on, it doesn't screw on...the tire is not attached to the end...Not I'm praying that the tire rod isn't messed up too..Wheel doesn't turn when steering wheel is turned...WOW...very lucky I wasn't on freeway..

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Tie rod end. This is the thing that moves the wheel left and right. There's an outer tie rod end that is attached to the wheel hub and an inner tie rod end that is attached to the steering rack, the thing that moves the tie rod end. If t's not attached, that means the wheel was just freewheeling? Wow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting towed away in an hour...:ugh

Got a qoute for $100 for labor...beats having to buy the couple tools I need to remove the tie rod...Should get it back by tomorrow..bye ...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts