VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Lots of black smoke 1300 RPM max

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Volks_r_us 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sitting and idling in driveway and also when going down the road sometimes. When checking this in driveway with vcds plugged in I get this code, 000305 oxygen (lambda) sensor B1 S1 Signal too low. Just an educated guess, is the sensor bad? By shutting the car off this resets itself but it happens very frequently. Happened to me going down the road today and had to pull off and restart to go again. If you put the pedal on the floor it won't clear out, it just puts out clouds of black smoke. This car is really starting to frustrate me.

#2 ·
Since the 02 sensors regulates air and EGR, maybe.... it could be bad wiring too. It's a simple unscrew and replug but it sounds like you're really getting limp mode. Look at the FAQ for limp mode troubleshooting, I suspect that many of the causes of your problem are similar since shutting the car off and restarting temporarily fixes it.

#3 ·
Still can't figure it out

Here's where I stand after replacing oxygen sensor. It has solved the problem from above but I still have the original problem I started with. It will still hesitate around 1600-1800 rpms but comes out of it and runs fine at higher rpms. Here's what I've done so far but to no avail. Took turbo off and cleaned out vanes/linkage that would stick every so often, changed N-75 valve because ohm reading was out of spec according to manual,and replaced oxygen sensor. I now have a code about intake flap sensor and the emissions workshop comes on in instrument panel when starting the car. I'm about ready to have the dealer figure out the problem and then I will fix it because I can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
The intake flap is the throttle like device on the intake. It's electrically driven and some people have had the gears that drive it strip. It might be worth it to check that it's working properly and take it apart to inspect it as a final step. If you do figure it out, please post a follow up to share what you learn.

#5 ·
I forgot to mention also when I was messing with the VCDS I noticed my injector deviation was way off on one cylinder. This could possibly mean I have an injector problem also, correct? I am seriously thinking about having dealer put it on their machine and telling me everything wrong and then I will fix it. I just haven't learned enough about my VCDS to interpret all the readings it can give and what all I could learn from it if I knew how to use it to its potential. When I went to college for diesel mechanics in the 80's everything was operated mechanically with linkage and not a sensor for everything. I have a lot to learn about the computerized end of these things.

#7 ·
Ok, I finally replaced the intake flap sensor that the plastic gears were stripped in but this has not solved the original problem. One thin I have noticed through the winter is the problem with loading up/knocking virtually goes away as the temperature drops. 20 degrees and below no problems with it. Above that temp, the warmer it gets the more problem it gives. I will take it to the dealer and let them try to figure it out. I am clueless at this point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.