VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just bought my first TDI after 2 years of waiting on it to be completed. Has a rebuilt transmission, engine has all been gone through. Love the car, but i only had one key for it. I must have layed it down somewhere, and now i lost it. Whats my best options? I do have a VW guy here in my hometown who is good with the TDIs. We have two junker cars of the same era with keyfobs, and a locksmith who for 120 bucks can get the key cut pattern from VW. Is there a better way to go about this? VW wants 180 bucks plus programming fees here to do a new key. I'd like to get several keys as a backup plus one for my BF if needed... but i can't justify spending that kind of money unless its my ONLY option.

Thanks everyone,
AJ

2002 TDI Jetta 4 door (and its blue!)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I suppose you could try switching tumblers from one of the junkers and see if the immobilizer will work but that would leave you with out key for the door and trunk unless you change those too. I got a fob from Ebay for less then $10 and hardware provided key blank and program service for around $25. But I had a key to follow. I'm in New England, where are you?

·
Registered
2004 touareg v10 TDI
2 Posts
Most car manufacturers apply this sticker on the door jamb on the driver's side. On Vingurus , I checked how many keys I should initially have. After vin checker, I realized that it is cheaper to make new keys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts