VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audi A3 8PA 1.9tdi 2005my
Disconnected battery to remove airbox, battery and shelf to look at connection at ABS unit (trying to resolve another problem) and whilst I had room cleaned and replaced all earth contacts. Refitted everything and reconnected battery and now have no power steering, red warning light showing. I believe this has an electro-mechanical system. I am very sure that the earth points were put back as found and tightened. The live fuse is OK. Cannot get to garage for diagnostic scan as steering too hard to drive safely (pensioner). I have disconnected battery before and not had this trouble. On top of existing problems (ESP) this car is turning into a nightmare. Would appreciate any help/advise.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
There is a pair of wires that run on top of the cross member front left part of vehicle. That powers the 'ram assist type steering' those wires are prone to rodent consumption or damage by crushing.

Yea, steering without the assist is like driving heavy truck without.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disconnected battery to fix another problem and upon reconnection I find that I do not have any power steering with red warning light showing. Was OK before disconnection and live fuse is OK. I found this in a VW service manual..... " The steering system recognises and reacts to undervoltage. If the battery voltage falls below 9 volt, the steering assistance is switched off and the electromechanical power steering warning lamp illuminates red. If there are brief voltage dips below 9 volt, the electromechanical power steering warning lamp illuminates yellow." Does this mean that if you disconnect the battery, the power steering assistance is switched off? If so, would reconnection of battery turn it on or does this have to be done by diagnostics?
On top of my existing problem, ESP fault, this car is turning into a nightmare. Any help/advise most welcome.

·
Super Moderator
9,231 Posts
You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Disconnected battery to fix another problem and upon reconnection I find that I do not have any power steering with red warning light showing. Was OK before disconnection and live fuse is OK. I found this in a VW service manual..... " The steering system recognises and reacts to undervoltage. If the battery voltage falls below 9 volt, the steering assistance is switched off and the electromechanical power steering warning lamp illuminates red. If there are brief voltage dips below 9 volt, the electromechanical power steering warning lamp illuminates yellow." Does this mean that if you disconnect the battery, the power steering assistance is switched off? If so, would reconnection of battery turn it on or does this have to be done by diagnostics?
On top of my existing problem, ESP fault, this car is turning into a nightmare. Any help/advise most welcome.

Didn't like my answer in the other thread you started?

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/loss-of-power-steering-after-disconnecting-battery.28310/

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
There is a fusible link type fuse on the front of the under hood fuse box. Look for about 5 or so red largish wires on the front of the box that connect to fusible links and then the links connect to a kind of bus bar. One of those is the power for the steering.

Sometimes, you have to drive the car a couple of blocks with a turn or 2 to get the steering to reset.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts