VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, while driving home from California, my 06 Beetle TDI lost power while going up the grade coming out of San Bernadino on I-15. I stopped in Victorville to have the problem checked out. The mechanic ran a diagnostic, all indicators were normal! Except the car falls on it's face when accelerating hard. No codes were present. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
- also check operation of the AC compressor clutch, I have seen them engaged even when AC switch is off due to the FCM failure. So compressor can be engaged all the time and thus robbing some of your engine's power.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the idea of checking the fuel filter but I remember having a 1992 Ford F250 with the 7.3 L International engine (without turbo) and at higher elevations ie I 70 Eisenhower Tunnel towards Denver, it was blowing black smoke and laboring for more air. Isn't Victorville about 4,500 ft and as you would drive from the CA valley to Las Vegas the elevation rises. Does your car run fine at low elevation and then looses power at high elevation. If so, did you check your air filter as Southern CA has a lot of sand and dust? Did you check for a clogged up intake ie intercooler clogged with oil? I even had mice make nest in the air filter cannister. Weird stuff happens in garages especially when cridders get ready for winter. Just some ideas.

Good Luck

bigochief

1 - 5 of 5 Posts