VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem that my mechanics have not been able to solve. I am now told that I need to replace the turbocharger but before I do that I want to make sure that will solve the problem.

The issue is that when I am going up a long hill and trying to keep my speed around 65-70 I will sometimes all of a sudden lose power. I can hear that something in the engine just stops making a noise (the noise sounds like air that stops rushing into something). After that I have little power and the check engine light comes on.

If I stop and restart the car the problem goes away until the next time it happens.

Outside of this happening on hills I have noticed that I have less power all around now. Not just going up long hills.

I am not able to do much work myself on the car and so have to use a mechanic.

Any ideas for me?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
What age of golf is it, if you have alook through the faq at limp mode that's what you're having and it's fairly common, I think if you can't do the work yourself then it'd be a good idea to try and find someone close by who knows the tdi engines really well, I think it's pretty rare that the turbo actually needs replacing, more likely needing a clean and possibly an actuator.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a '99 Golf and I have been looking for someone around here who knows TDIs but have yet to find someone.

I will search through the faq to see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's hard to tell exactly what the cause is without doing more tests or giving more clues. You are getting limp mode and it might be the turbocharger. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/limp-mode-TDI-fix.htm Here is the FAQ article on how to diagnose and fix it yourself. If nothing else, find out the cause and if you do find that it's the turbo you can still let someone else replace it!
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts