VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing a leak in my car for a while now, I've removed all the carpets and underlay/soundproofing as well as the various plastics, the underlay stuff was stinking due to stale water and needed a good clean. Anyway I've narowed the leak down to way up the back of the dash so after looking at a guide over here in the Uk on another forum it looks like an easy task to remove the dash so that's what I'm going to do as soon as I get a dry day and some time. I've already been through all the usual suspects of the windscreen, drainage in the bit below the windscreen etc so nothing left for it and it looks like the carpets have been hiding a sort of long narrow crack/hole so I'll be welding that back up too, I think it was caused by the leak and judging by how wet the floor was I think it's been leaking for a while. At least my car's quicker now though with all that extra weight out of it:D

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dash in my caer isn't so bad, I'll have it out and back in in less than a day but I'll take the luck to help with avoiding breaking plastic parts.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
What the hell!

Now I didn't see that coming, I wonder if I can just wind it all back in there as there doesn't seem to be any damage:annoyed

I suppose it's for the airbag, it'll either work or it wont I suppose, is it possible to disable the airbag? I'm not a big fan of them anyway myself.:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
and just how did you do that? are you one of those guys who cannot resist pulling on a loose string on your shirts?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol that yellow plug on the end was in the cover that goes around the steering column so I thought it maybe unplugged from the back but before I could do much the back popped off and ****!:D I'm sure I'll figure it out.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Right I'm not taking any chances this time lol:D

Tommorrow I'm going to be digging deeper to find the start of this rusty looking hole and get my welder out. I might have to take the wing partially off to get a look at the outside too.

But I might leave the dash out, check all that space, I could put in some nice shelves:D

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I had the pleasure of driving a right hand drive Passat diesel 5 speed on a recent trip to Scotland. The only problem encountered was a propensity to shift from 1st to 4th. Its too ingrained pulling the shifter towards your leg when shifting 1st to 2nd. The roundabouts were fun too.

I was also totally amazed at how courteous drivers are on the 1 lane country roads with passing areas. In the States it would not be a pleasant experience waiting for someone to give in and move.:D

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right then it looks like I found the source of the lake in my car lol

So it was time for a bit of welding although I'm not really an expert but it does the job,

and I gave it a coating of fibre glass too to help seal it up,

and then went for a drive in my new lighter weight version:D

Sorry about the horrible gear knob but I'll put the original back in once I've finished and have all the carpets and various plastics back in place.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's funny, you come all the way from the states and do some visiting and sight seeing, I live here and I have to look up the places you went to because I don't know them even though I'm only about 70 miles from Edinburgh. I really need to travel more lol.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's the dash back in and everything is working great, I had the airbag light on but soon sorted that with my maxscan. I've just been powerwashing the carpet and I'm going to leave it to drip dry for a few days now then hopefully I can put it back in the car nice and dry.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't a clue, it's the one thing that bugs me, I can only assume there was a flaw in the metal or a bit of paint was missing etc, it's a double skin and the hole leads into the gap between two parts that go towards making the innerwing, it has holes along the top which is where the water gets in but it should've flowed straight out the bottom like it does now.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that's the carpet and trims all back in place thankfully, I'm altering my centre console at the moment though to fit a regular stereo, it's an all in one heater, stereo combi unit but the stereo lacks power and there's no connections for an amp. My stereo has been mounted below the steering column for a good while now but thought it was about time I altered that, the fascia just needs another lick of paint then it'll be all lovely and ready to install so I should get it done tommorrow or maybe tuesday, give the paint a chance to harden.:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Stage 3 weight reduction modifications LOL. Nice job I would use primer paint to protect welding area from future rusting then tar coating on both sides.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts