VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This covers the basics of limp mode. I will try adding some pictures later on, but it has the part numbers for n75 valve replacements and some tips.

No vacuum line picture routing since it is already in the mk3 ecu hose/chip replacement writeup and linked from here.

Limp mode is basically when the car goes into a "safety" mode when it senses a problem that could cause engine damage. The usual cause is some sensor which is far out of it's correct range due to boost spike, vacuum leak, etc.

A key to knowing limp mode is that it is reset when you shut the car off and turn back on. Relatively fast power loss is the main symptom.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/limpmodetdi.htm

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
That happened to me once...I know it was limp mode but it never happened again.

I was on the highway with the cruise control on. There was a hill and I pressed on the go pedal to go faster and went into limp mode. Restarted and the same thing happened with the cruise control on. Cleaned the n75 never happened again. Could it be related to the cruise control?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible but I doubt it. Maybe the electronic throttle requested too much, it wasn't delivered, and the car went into limp mode, but this is a not-likely guess.

Try doing it again on the highway and see what happens.

J

·
0 Posts
Hm, I see why it might but I doubt that the cruise control caused limp mode.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Low boost only 10psi... N75?

I am having limp mode problems every time I drive my car. It is a 2000 New Beetle TDI. I have checked the Vacuum lines and the VNT actuator/Vanes and everthing looks to be working. I am thinking about replacing the N75 but will probably do some test on it tonight. Any suggestions about how to go about this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts