VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm from Montreal, QC. I've got an mk4 that was running great up until mid way through the winter (mid december) My car started going into limp mode from time to time, and normally a quick off/on was the fix. As it got colder, the off/on solution stopped working and it became a permanent problem. I changed all of my vacuum hosing to blue silicone, which was lengthly as I replacing it section by section so as to forget what goes well. This seemed to help things and for a couple of weeks everything was going great, all though my turbo would occasionally spike to almost 30 psi, which worried me, but didn't produce limp mode. However, limp mode set in again and so i did a vag-com fault code search and found that i had both these codes:

19586 - EGR System Regulation Range Exceeded
P3130 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
P1556 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

The both pointed to a N75 and N18 problem so I changed them both after doing a test that I found on another form, which required you to attach the two terminals to a 12v source and you should hear the cylinder inside move. After changing both of those I cleared my codes, and drove and it was good for a couple days until i went into limp mode and haven't been able to get out it since. when I am in limp mode, i get about a 2-5psi boost ntil about 2300 rpm in 4th and the same rpm in 5th were it not only completely dies, but it goes into the vacuum range at about 4-8 inHg. As well at idle it is in the same 4-8 inHg range. I did a fault code scan and this is what popped up:

16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit Malfunction
P0380 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
P1556 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62): Open or Short to Plus
P1256 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
19586 - EGR System Regulation Range Exceeded
P3130 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18027 - Glow Plug Relay (J52): Open or Short to Ground
P1619 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

the top 16764 code is nothing new, I seem to have always had it, I checked the resistance on all the glow plugs and they're normal, as well as the charge coming through the wiring harness and that's fine as well. ( any ideas on this one would be helpful!)

the rest of the codes are new, i looked them up in wiki ross-tech and haven't been able to check those yet. I assume that the only ones that pertain to my limp mode problem are the EGR System Regulation Range Exceeded and the Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation. These seem like tricky codes to catch though as they are all intermittent. I'm wondering as well if anyone has any wiring diagrams or something where i could check that the wiring is still good??

a last problem i'm having is with my ac unit. I changed compressors as the last one snapped my drive belt when I turned it on one day (bad clutch bearing on the pulley) but it still doesn't seem to work, the light in my car goes on, and I checked the wiring on the passenger side of the engine bay, but haven't checked the wires past that. I'm wondering if it's the relay under the battery, or if anyone has some light to shed on the problem. I changed my cabin air filter, which only helped my heating in the winter.

so ya, those are my main problem's. Ive had my tdi for about a year and a half (upreaded from a jeep cherokee which was great for snow, but super slow and bad for my wallet) and I love it. I have upgraded the sound system, re-done the brakes (crossed drilled cadmium gold plated rotors with semi metallic pads, and new rear calipers as one seized as i was trying to screw it back in), dropped it by 1.8" installed front top mount strut bar and c-pillar bar, put led strips (with switch in the free space beside my seat heater knob) under the dash & center console and outside underneath on all four sides (although those come off in the winter), changed my front headlights to angel eye (bmw style) headlights and once the weather permits I will be changing over my h1 bulbs to white led bulbs (i plan to make a post on how that goes) I have Vag-Com 311 (fully functional) so if nyone needs their fault codes read in the mtl region pm me and we'll meet up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! it seems as well that when it warms up and gets dry i get almost an overboost (up to 28 psi)... i will check the guide on VNT actuator, and post an update once i get some news.. thanks though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a combination of the actuator and a problematic N18. Put in new vacuum lines and new actuator and a second N71 instead of the N18 until a get a new one. Everything works great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts