VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Limp mode after 15mins of highway

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tallen4366 
#1 ·
-Just bought this 01 golf tdi 260km, was a solid car until i took it on the highway and it put itself into limp mode. Previous owner said he tuned it as well as an egr delete, but who knows if it was properly, ecu says turbo makes about 22psi with some good throttle, could it just be a bad tune? vanes dont seem to be stuck.

-fault codes (p0303 cyl 3 misfire) (p3130 powertrain) (p1557 powertrain) car runs fine when in the city from what i can tell, (its my first tdi)
- car also consumes some oil, and has enough blow by to make the oil cap "dance" and pretty good white smoke out of exhaust on cold start, and shakes/misfires until it gets warm.anything will help thanks!!
Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Font Mobile device

See less See more
#2 ·
Some sort of coolant heater would help on the cold starts seeing your from Canada. My 06 jetta TDI would go into limp mode from an over boost condition, being a manual, I can just shut the ignition off and restart on a roll and all would be fine then . I would remove or disable the tune to get back to stock and go from there.

#6 ·
I don't know about all those other codes, but my 2001 goes into limp mode every so often, and not in cold weather. Usually it's a vacuum issue. I replaced all of my vacuum lines. I also used a Dremel to get inside the N75, on the firewall. I made sure it was clean, squirted a little WD 40 in it, and then used zip ties bandalero style to hold it all back together--has been fine for years. You can also replace the N75 completely. There is also the other end of the vacuum line that controls the vanes on the turbo. You can check its action, or, again, replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.