VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later, my wife accidentally left the lights on and drained the battery.

I noticed that the lights on chime only chimes 5 times when you open the door with the lights on. Is there any way to make that chin more than 5 times?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any thoughts here, is this setting adjustable?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I have not seen references to this being adjustable but I've never even noticed it. I just always make sure the light is off. Maybe you can disable the door chime (see the FAQ) so that the only chime is the headlights.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later, my wife accidentally left the lights on and drained the battery.
Ouch. Its also pretty easy to not hear the chimes in a loud parking environment.

I noticed that the lights on chime only chimes 5 times when you open the door with the lights on. Is there any way to make that chin more than 5 times?
I bet, like me, you wish the headlights would just turn off when you turn the ignition switch off.

I personally wish the headlights operated like the radio head-unit.
(Turn car off = radio turns off, then tap radio's power power button, radio turns on back on)

My wish is .....turn car off with the headlight switch in the "on" position = everything turns off including the headlights ....then, with the car still off, turn headlight switch off then to back to on position, and the headlights can come back on. Viola! headlights are on and ignition is off.

Well, a boy can dream.......

Check this car battery saver gadget out.
http://www.prioritystart.com/store.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, it actually amazes me that with all the other software gadgets they have that they didn't include an auto-shutoff for the headlamps.

My wif has actually drained the battery on every car she's had since we've been married by leaving the lights on, so that little gadget may be just the ticket.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The parking lights staying on when the ignition is off is typical German car behavior. German cars have been doing this since the '70s, at least. Not just VWs, but BMWs, Benzes and Porsches too. It really wouldn't surprise me much to find that this behavior is required in Germany for some unknown reason. I don't know that it is, but to have all of those makes do this for all these years makes me wonder if there isn't some external reason behind it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is where automatic lights come in handy. I would like to add this, along with rain-sensing wipers, to my JSW. Has anyone done this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts