VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 2005 GOLF PD BEW auto
I put my ear next to the lift pump and was surprised to only hear a very brief gurgle, followed immediately by silence.

Sounded like a bubble and then nothing.
Car runs fine, but I've been wondering about a few things, including this.

So, what should it sound like? Is it supposed to run continuously?

What are the symptoms of a failure? Car seems to run fine, starts quick, etc.

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The bubbling could be a tiny air bubble moving away. After you start the engine, it's supposed to run for about 1/2-1 second. After the engine starts it runs continuously. The pump blows, the tandem pump at the engine sucks. If you have a fuel leak the tandem pump can't keep up and it can result in low fuel pressure/stalling.

In addition, some lift pumps are different, some can let the engine run if they fail, some will cut off fuel if they fail.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bubbling could be a tiny air bubble moving away. After you start the engine, it's supposed to run for about 1/2-1 second. After the engine starts it runs continuously.
Ok....so I should be able to feel it running continuously when the engine is running. Any idea how many amps it would draw while running?

Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Feel it running? Maybe not, depending on what you're touching, but it should be running. If you hear it prime when you turn the key to ON, there's no reason it's not running when engine is running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts