VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a 2005 GOLF PD BEW auto
I put my ear next to the lift pump and was surprised to only hear a very brief gurgle, followed immediately by silence.

Sounded like a bubble and then nothing.
Car runs fine, but I've been wondering about a few things, including this.

So, what should it sound like? Is it supposed to run continuously?

What are the symptoms of a failure? Car seems to run fine, starts quick, etc.

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The bubbling could be a tiny air bubble moving away. After you start the engine, it's supposed to run for about 1/2-1 second. After the engine starts it runs continuously. The pump blows, the tandem pump at the engine sucks. If you have a fuel leak the tandem pump can't keep up and it can result in low fuel pressure/stalling.

In addition, some lift pumps are different, some can let the engine run if they fail, some will cut off fuel if they fail.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bubbling could be a tiny air bubble moving away. After you start the engine, it's supposed to run for about 1/2-1 second. After the engine starts it runs continuously.
Ok....so I should be able to feel it running continuously when the engine is running. Any idea how many amps it would draw while running?

Thanks very much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.