VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 JSW TDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the lift pump amperage? The plastic on the fuse to the lift pump was melted, but the fuse portion was not burned through or showing signs of being hot. Still, I had no voltage to the pump. I put a new fuse in and the pump started working again. I want to see what amperage the pump is pulling, and need to know what it should be, to determine if it's going bad or I need to look at something else in the circuit.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I can't tell you of hand the current draw of the lift pump in the fuel tank.

Did the fuse blow?

Measure it with a multimeter.

When you turn the ignition on the fuel pump should prime for a couple of seconds.

·
Registered
2012 JSW TDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The fuse didn't blow, just showed signs of heat. The plastic was melted, but the metal fuse portion didn't show signs of heat. This tells me something is loading the system, just not enough to blow the fuse. I haven't measured the current draw yet. Wanted to get and idea of the value I should expect to see. I decided to change the fuse anyway and that reestablished power to the pump. In my opinion, the melted plastic with the fuse portion unblown and still intact should have still worked. Either way something is putting a load on the circuit that got the fuse hot without blowing it.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Heat in an electrical circuit is caused by bad connection or resistance you need to check those out.

The fuse in an electrical circuit only protects the wiring and component. People fit a bigger fuse because it keeps on blowing bad idea it just takes a bit longer to blow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts