VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 2004 VW Passat w/ 227,000 mis. and a new timing belt.

I know the VW diesels run a long time, but over 200,000 miles seems like a lot to me in any case.

Does anybody know how long one could expect one of these engines to last?

·
Super Moderator
9,395 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Well if you have no service history then that would be the first thing to change

Timing belt - Renew - Every 80000 miles or 48 months

Timing belt tensioner - Renew - Every 160000 miles or 96 months ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would also replace the oil pump chain with the gear driven swap. They tend to snap and VW doesn't make replacements from what I hear so you have to swap it. Over 200,000 miles and you're probably on borrowed time but once you swap it, it should be good to go. I'd also look to overhauling the suspension which requires you to replace the control arms. Check out the buying FAQ in the FAQ section.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/vw-passat-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Plan on doing everything or close to everything in this buying guide. The suspension will be worn out and despite the recent timing belt, find out if the oil pump was changed. If it goes, the engine won't last very long. Also check the camshaft, signs of water leakage, and the rest of the items in the buying guide. These are the major problem areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts