1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back again with a question for my VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI 2014

LED HEADLIGHT UPGRADES
low beam, high beam, drl

I have been doing a lot of research and just want to get it right the first time.
I’m looking for as close to the best available, probably $200-$300 budget on the low beams, tandem probably $80-$150 budget on the high beam and drl’s ( those would be to compliment the low beam that I anticipate using 98% of the time)
Things that are important to me is absolute controlled brightness and as white to daylight color as possible with no random rainbow colors within the color spectrum.
“CONTROLLED BRIGHTNESS” as bright and clean as possible while maintaining the factory light spread and upper cutoff light line, I don’t want coast guard search and recovery spotlights illuminating the roofs of houses, I’m looking for as close to OEM light pattern as possible.
Reliability is very important along with a better then good warranty.
While doing research I have seen companies saying several bulb sizes will work, but to the best of my knowledge it looks like the H7 for low beam is the correct bulb, as far as the high beam and drl, it appear by looking in the light housing the it may be the same 2 lights in 1 bulb, is that correct?

Probably most important is ERROR FREE & ZERO FLICKERING, ( headaches already happened with my interior led upgrades )
Do I need any additional parts / plugs / adapters to achieve error free non flickering bulbs?
also a nice feature I have seen was ability to adjust beam pattern without removing the whole bulb, having the ability to to adjust / turn the bulb while installed from behind

and probably another decision, recommendation is TO FAN OR NOT TO FAN. Are bulbs with fans the norm for the more high end LED headlights?

that’s all I can think of, and once I get some good feedback I’ll be ready to make my purchase

NEXT on my list of upgrades is adding fog lights to my wagon, I know I’ll need the grill end replacements that will accommodate the fog light, and also I’m aware I will need a different light switch to control the added fog lights. I’m looking for a clean stock look, all black grill adapter and bulb housing ( no chrome trim)
I’m ok with the standard round fog light, but really like some of the newer car fogs that are factory LED’s and are not the traditional round light, the led strip / rectangle shape or “L” shaped fog lights catch my eyes every time I see them, as long as they look as natural/ oem to my car as possible. My days of the Japan cars with the obvious mods are over, I want the cleanest oem look as possible for most of my upgrades / mods s
So the true fog light upgrade research begins and will follow the headlight upgrade mentioned above

thank you in advance for advise, recommendations, thoughts and opinions

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2013 Jetta TDI, the High Beams and Low Beams both use an H7 bulb (4x H7 bulbs total).
As far as LED goes just make sure they are CANBUS or you will have issues.
6000K to 6500K is probably where you want to be at if you go higher like 7000K and up you are getting into Blueish territory and 5000K and lower you are in the yellowish territory from my experience.
The problem is that MFGs BS about the Kelvin color scale so one brand may be different and they both say 6000K. If I were you go on Amazon and read the reviews for the items you have in mind and view the customer images so you know what color you are getting exactly. That's the great thing about the internet ...lots of info most of the time.

Here is a Kelvin Color chart

As far as what type of LED bulb really can't help you there, I had LED in another car and hated it, lot of money for bulbs that just didn't last, but that was my experience and it was in a different car. They do get hot as hell, not so much the LED light itself but the base, so I would suggest one with decent heat sinks. As far as fans I was afraid to go there because I thought the fam would break ao I figured a solid heat sink would be better. This was a few years ago and things have probably changed...

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my 2013 Jetta TDI, the High Beams and Low Beams both use an H7 bulb (4x H7 bulbs total).
As far as LED goes just make sure they are CANBUS or you will have issues.
6000K to 6500K is probably where you want to be at if you go higher like 7000K and up you are getting into Blueish territory and 5000K and lower you are in the yellowish territory from my experience.
The problem is that MFGs BS about the Kelvin color scale so one brand may be different and they both say 6000K. If I were you go on Amazon and read the reviews for the items you have in mind and view the customer images so you know what color you are getting exactly. That's the great thing about the internet ...lots of info most of the time.

Here is a Kelvin Color chart

As far as what type of LED bulb really can't help you there, I had LED in another car and hated it, lot of money for bulbs that just didn't last, but that was my experience and it was in a different car. They do get hot as hell, not so much the LED light itself but the base, so I would suggest one with decent heat sinks. As far as fans I was afraid to go there because I thought the fam would break ao I figured a solid heat sink would be better. This was a few years ago and things have probably changed...

Good Luck
Thank you for the info
Your hi-beam is also an H7? I did have the 2013 TDI Sportwagen prior to getting the 2014 and I don’t recall the hi-beam bulb. On my 2014 it is the H15 ( DRL & Hi-beam in 1). I have been really leaning towards the GTR Ultra 2 H7 bulbs for regular light, ( https://www.headlightrevolution.com/H7-Ultra-2.0_2?quantity=1 ) they are pricey but have a lifetime warranty. I know VW’s are prone to errors when changing lights to LED’s and these bulbs have a PWM Interface module for an additional cost ( https://www.headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lighting-pwm-hid-kit-modules-ACC.PWM5202.MOD_2?quantity=1 ) that just plugs inline. Did you experience any errors or flickering on your regular beam H7 ?

as far as the H15 they currently don’t offer that bulb in that series but they do have the SV.4 H15 bulbs (https://www.headlightrevolution.com/s-v-4-led-headlights-h15-bulbs-HRH15V4_2?quantity=1) this bulb has the CANBUS integration circuit already built into the driver, so not sure if I would need the additional PWM interface module, the description of the bulb state if used in fog light chances are you won’t need, but if it is used as a DRL and headlight in 1 then it may possibly be needed.
I see you have both sets as H7’s does your DRL run off the H7 also?

has anyone used the H15 for the DRL/HI-beam combo? Or is there a different workaround?

being a honda guy years ago, I never had to worry about any of this, you could make almost anything work in a 90!s - 2000’s honda even if they said it won’t work. Just cut, splice, connect and your on your way.

I’m just trying to make the purchase once and install and not have to worry about errors, flickering, not turning on or installing and needing to uninstall while waiting for extra parts to be ordered and install again

I really appreciate your feedback

1 - 4 of 4 Posts