VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta TDI w/Koni FSD, Shine springs, EBC rotors/pads, Kenwood radio/GPS, updated VW shark-fin.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using semi-synthetic 505.01 5w40 in my 2006 Jetta TDI BRM for 14 years. I am now finding that I cannot find Motul specific 505.01 that I've been using. They now have 8100 fully synthetic and I see a similar Liqui-moly semi-synthetic 505.01. I prefer 5w40 for its additional protection even though mileage not quite as good as with 5w30. Any thoughts on what I should use going forward? Would fully synthetic be better or worse for the car at this stage? Or should I stay with a similar semi-synthetic type like I've been using over the years. Car has run superbly since new and so far no camshaft issues so I want to keep it running great. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
VW Jetta TDI Mk5 2005.5 BRM
154 Posts
I use Pentosin HPII in the same car. It's a 5w40 and 505.01 spec. If you buy it in the 20L container off Amazon, it's pretty cheap. I've read good things about it, and I've tended to try to baby cam shaft a bit, even though I replaced with a better forged one. When I pulled the cover and checked the cam not long after buying, the lobes were really bad, nearly worn through the rockers.

·
Premium Member
2006 Jetta (BRM), 5 speed
18 Posts
I have a BRM as well. Bought an oil change "kit" from them to do mine here soon. They carry the spec stuff in Liqui Moly you are needing...https://kermatdi.com/i-289-liqui-moly-diesel-high-tech-5w40-engine-oil-5-liter-pd.html#!year%3D2006%7C%7Cmake%3DVOLKSWAGEN%7C%7Cmodel%3DJETTA

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I've been using semi-synthetic 505.01 5w40 in my 2006 Jetta TDI BRM for 14 years. I am now finding that I cannot find Motul specific 505.01 that I've been using. They now have 8100 fully synthetic and I see a similar Liqui-moly semi-synthetic 505.01. I prefer 5w40 for its additional protection even though mileage not quite as good as with 5w30. Any thoughts on what I should use going forward? Would fully synthetic be better or worse for the car at this stage? Or should I stay with a similar semi-synthetic type like I've been using over the years. Car has run superbly since new and so far no camshaft issues so I want to keep it running great. Thanks for any advice.
There is a TSB on these oil specifications from VW and have changed. AMSOIL has both the old and new specific oils for the BRM engine.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Posed this question to my TDI diesel expert mech a number of years back, he told me I could use most synthetic modern diesel oils as long as I added zddp to them every other oil change. Been doing that since 2017 or so. I check the compression about once a year and have not noted any significant changes over the last few years. May cause cam problems later but I have 40k on this one with no signs of lobe wear. And I only use 5w40! Not trying to start a battle here, I appreciate people are very passionate about oils!

At this point, my teenage son drives this car, it lasts till it dies. I mean, 06 pushing 200k. At best, he gets 37 mpg, so you can guess how he drives it. Hahaha. I get a fair number of harsh accelerations from my verizon HUM I have in the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts