VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 14 Jetta TDI 3 years ago after the Dieselgate updates from what was considered a Reputable VW Dealer. In the following 3 years it's been in the shop for mostly related issues no less than 7 times including now 2 heater cores multiple sensors & fault codes and a Throw out slave cyl. Car had 38,000 when I bought it now has 93,000. From my Previous research these cars were just getting into their prime around 50,000 miles and were an outstanding deal. Now 3 years on It's been the absolute worst thing to Ever park in my garage. I don't want to disparage the second dealer that had been doing an exemplary job of doing the necessary work under warranty that the Selling dealership either haphazardly or consciously neglected to take care of. Now at this time I find myself with what has proven to be a Truly Un reliable and likely Un sellable Boat Anchor. The 3 year BURN has come to a head with this final warranted repair. Yet a 3rd clogged heater core and this time luckily it includes the EGR valve which makes this all fall under the extended emissions warranty including a Chemical flush of the whole cooling system. This will likely be the Last repair on this car while under my ownership. Speaking of the Heater core issues & failed sensors. Has anyone else had trouble with multiple failures after the Dieselgate updates?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry, no. I've had my 11 TDI Sportwagen for nearly three years (purchased from a dealer as a Dieselgate car) and am only now dealing with unscheduled maintenance (intake valve flap sensor) but, then again, it only has 55,000 miles. Been a great car so far.

·
Premium Member
2005.5 Volkswagen Jetta TDi PKG2 DSG
13 Posts
Bought a 14 Jetta TDI 3 years ago after the Dieselgate updates from what was considered a Reputable VW Dealer. In the following 3 years it's been in the shop for mostly related issues no less than 7 times including now 2 heater cores multiple sensors & fault codes and a Throw out slave cyl. Car had 38,000 when I bought it now has 93,000. From my Previous research these cars were just getting into their prime around 50,000 miles and were an outstanding deal. Now 3 years on It's been the absolute worst thing to Ever park in my garage. I don't want to disparage the second dealer that had been doing an exemplary job of doing the necessary work under warranty that the Selling dealership either haphazardly or consciously neglected to take care of. Now at this time I find myself with what has proven to be a Truly Un reliable and likely Un sellable Boat Anchor. The 3 year BURN has come to a head with this final warranted repair. Yet a 3rd clogged heater core and this time luckily it includes the EGR valve which makes this all fall under the extended emissions warranty including a Chemical flush of the whole cooling system. This will likely be the Last repair on this car while under my ownership. Speaking of the Heater core issues & failed sensors. Has anyone else had trouble with multiple failures after the Dieselgate updates?
Sounds like you got a lemon…that car is bad news and I would just get rid of it while your ahead

·
Registered
15 Posts
man I had so many problems after the dieselgate stuff, 3 years they took and a change of dealerships to fix it >.<

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Picked my car up yesterday from the Reliable dealership. And from what it looks like VW put another 1800 into it under the Dieselgate Emissions warranty. Sure is nice to have heat when it's cold out. This last repair was extended because they couldn't get another EGR cooler I guess. Now I'm at a cross roads with what to do with this car. I truly can't justify driving the wheels off of it when it's proven to be so Unreliable. And at 91000 (I was wrong earlier saying 93000) miles knowing it's capability for being Repair Needy. Can I actually trust it till Mid Spring?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well Picked my car up yesterday from the Reliable dealership. And from what it looks like VW put another 1800 into it under the Dieselgate Emissions warranty. Sure is nice to have heat when it's cold out. This last repair was extended because they couldn't get another EGR cooler I guess. Now I'm at a cross roads with what to do with this car. I truly can't justify driving the wheels off of it when it's proven to be so Unreliable. And at 91000 (I was wrong earlier saying 93000) miles knowing it's capability for being Repair Needy. Can I actually trust it till Mid Spring?
Really what I would do is try another dealership, that’s what I had to do, I took my car at least 15 times for the same issue to this one vw and they just kept fixing dumb crap and never found the problem, my car wouldn’t regen at all after they “fixed” emissions and it wouldn’t go 80 or 55 when it did go 80 it would go down to 50 when you drive because it wouldn’t regen, I started with 42k of extended warranty right, they gave me a new motor, (my car had 218k) they changed my turbo and Dpf filter, fuel filters, intercooler, I don’t remember if they did the egr, prob did, but it wasn’t fixed, I had about 1.5k Miles left on warranty and I got so tired of taking it to that vw I just felt they didn’t want to help me they said my car had way too much mileage and I shouldn’t expect it to run like new. When I would go this one time my old advisor told the new advisor he didn’t wAnt to deal with me, that if he wanted to help me it was his choice; when I took it to the other vw they fixed it 3 times and bam, so simple too it was the coolant lines they couldn’t create the right pressure to regen. He explained all so well to me but I forgot lol I got her back in sept and she got over 30k no issues at all. I’ll always be so thankful for them

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's outstanding that you found a dealer that would finally deal with the issue instead of just putting on another band aid. The dealer I have been going to has had the Best consumer reviews of the VW dealers with in 100 miles of me I would recommend them to anyone. And this dealership has Always been most helpful when I needed advice for some of the issues I delt with on my own. The fact that this car had been sitting unused for a couple years and the selling dealer haphazardly doing the initial EPA mandated upgrades has in my opinion rendered this Lump of crud Unreliable for my 20,000 mile yearly commute. Although I am not an ASE certified mechanic I have had more than enough experience Building Rebuilding & repairing many engines & automotive systems to tell me when It's Time To Go. In hind sight I'm about 18 month's late at replacing this car. But being the Hopeful Optimist and being Enamored with the High Mileage I've been enjoying. I've been playing the Finally It will be Reliable & problem Free now game. It's time for me to Cut My Losses and move on from this car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's outstanding that you found a dealer that would finally deal with the issue instead of just putting on another band aid. The dealer I have been going to has had the Best consumer reviews of the VW dealers with in 100 miles of me I would recommend them to anyone. And this dealership has Always been most helpful when I needed advice for some of the issues I delt with on my own. The fact that this car had been sitting unused for a couple years and the selling dealer haphazardly doing the initial EPA mandated upgrades has in my opinion rendered this Lump of crud Unreliable for my 20,000 mile yearly commute. Although I am not an ASE certified mechanic I have had more than enough experience Building Rebuilding & repairing many engines & automotive systems to tell me when It's Time To Go. In hind sight I'm about 18 month's late at replacing this car. But being the Hopeful Optimist and being Enamored with the High Mileage I've been enjoying. I've been playing the Finally It will be Reliable & problem Free now game. It's time for me to Cut My Losses and move on from this car.
Well you might know better than me, if it’s time to go, I’m a girl anyways and the only car I know about is my car for the many different problems it had because my mom had it before me and she barely had it changed it’s oil and I got it and found the recalls and ever since she been telling me to get rid of it but I’m stubborn and I come from a country where we fix things not replace it and it’s diesel, and I love this car and I’m glad I was stubborn about it, 3 long years with a lot of contact with volkwagen of America and no car but it was worth it. You know, if they didn’t have the egr cooler they could’ve ordered it, my turbo/Dpf filter took two months to reach my car back in 2019, and my motor took 8 months to reach my car, last year, so why they are fixing around it I don’t understand, they should give you a loaner as per the warranty and order what it needs. I also lived far from my vw, 60 miles from either one. But if I was you, if you are as patient as I am, take it back until warranty run out. Good luck I hope they fix it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Surely don't want to down play your experience or knowledge. My wife has been with me many times working on & rebuilding engines. Including the engine in her Monte Carlo. You also seem well versed in mechanicals enough to talk with & get things done at the dealer. As for me the time has come to part ways with this car. For me it's almost an infatuation with the high mileage and now there's also a need for something larger to tow up to 5,000 lbs occasionally. Yes I know it looks like I'm looking for reasons to justify something else. In a way I am

·
Registered
15 Posts
Surely don't want to down play your experience or knowledge. My wife has been with me many times working on & rebuilding engines. Including the engine in her Monte Carlo. You also seem well versed in mechanicals enough to talk with & get things done at the dealer. As for me the time has come to part ways with this car. For me it's almost an infatuation with the high mileage and now there's also a need for something larger to tow up to 5,000 lbs occasionally. Yes I know it looks like I'm looking for reasons to justify something else. In a way I am
Oh no, I don’t know much I wish tho but someday when my son is of age we’ll take her apart as I did with my computers as a child, I just figured I would try to get her fixed until warranty ran out and if they didn’t fix it then I would part ways too but she’s my only car I’m glad she made it I just figured it was something simpler since all the big components were replaced, they just were fixing stupid things and resetting the light so when I got home after the 60 miles it would go on again and back and forth til my damn warranty went out. That’s awesome I hope I may experience a teacher like that someday cuz I’m driving this car till she can’t no more and then some lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts