VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm fairly certain one of two things has happened to my TDI. Either the turbo blew or the head gasket. Was driving tonight speeding up, nothing crazy. I lost power. Was still going at 60 just stopped accelerating. Felt a pop then smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. I was less than a mile from where I was going so kept going kept an eye on the thermostat gauge. Car kept running pretty much as it did before just with constant smoke coming from the exhaust. Got to where I was going and killed it. Let it set while I worked. Went back out a couple of hours later. The coolant was slightly lower in the bottle not completely empty just lower. And there was oil that was obviously coming out of the exhaust. Some that had dripped from driving but too much just to be from that. At first I thought for sure it was the head gasket. For a couple weeks it had been puffing out white smoke on accelerating especially after starting it got a little better as the car warmed up but on warm days it would always puff a little so I had planned on doing a head gasket job pretty soon anyhow and it had a very very slow coolant leak, I figured was from coolant being sucked through the head gasket but after reading some other things it could be I'm now concerned my turbo blew and the coolant was just incidental (I hadn't checked it in a couple days. I know I know lazy but what're you gonna do) So I'm getting it towed in the morning and was wondering if anyone had good ideas for figuring out which happened. First thing I'm gonna do is drain any oil left and check for coolant. Someone said checking the intercooler piping for large quantities of oil was good for checking blown turbo. I really didnt see any oil coming actually from the engine after it set for a couple of hours which I feel like for either of these issues is weird or maybe I just got unlucky. The intake was leaking a small amount of fresh oil but it's had a small leak for a while, I planned on redoing its gasket with the head. I'm gonna fix it myself either way. I got done doing the timing several weeks ago so even a head job shouldn't be much harder and yes I knew what I was doing. I got all the right tools and did the timing on vcds afterwards and got it perfect. Also if it does end up being the head I read you have to measure the gasket thickness to order a new one so any input on how to do that would be helpful. My Bentley is an hour away right now so I cant check it for the procedure. I'm definitely gonna get it before I do a turbo or head job though. Any help would be much appreciated. I love this car even though outwardly it looks like a turd it has a brand new suspension all around with some aftermarket parts and still gets 38 mpg. I want it to make it to the 300k tickover. Currently at 260 😊Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

What smoke black or white?

When you post a problem break it into paragraphs not all one text block, I could edit your post but you wouldn't know this problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts