VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I just got the Golf TDI delivered to me very late yesterday afternoon. I live in Pennsylvania and they shipped the car to me from Georgia. I gave the car a quick bath and took some pics this morning. The light wasn't the greatest, so I will have to get some more pics in the future.

Bye the way, the spacers were still in the front springs. There wasn't anything on the rear springs, but there are some similarly-colored yellow stops on the rear shocks. I think they are bump stops, but I would like to know for sure. If anyone knows, please tell me that they are the bump stops on the rear shocks and that they do not have to be removed. I called the sales manager in Georgia, but he really doesn't know about all of this and the service department was gone for the day.

I also have a tennis-ball-sized dullish round mark on the driver's side rear door. It looks like they may have tried to compound some small imperfection in the paint and left a round dullish spot in the paint. I also have a very small scratch on the rear hatch that the shipper noted on his delivery slip. I told the sales manager in Georgia and he told me to go to my local dealer and have the service folks call him to get it covered. There was also a very annoying pretty big dealer sticker on the rear hatch. Every letter had to be individually pealed from the car. Fortunately they did not mount a front plate and it appears the rear plate is mounted nice and level.

The weird VW thing about my car is the rear hatch does not have any of the bag hooks or a 12V electric outlet. I was looking for a way to hang the rear cargo net and then finally realized I have no hooks at all and no 12V outlet. I guess they saved a little money on the last run for 2010. The rear hooks and outlet are clearly shown in the owner's manual, but I have no hooks and outlet. I do have the front outlet.

In spite of some frustrations waiting in limbo for the car all day today, the imperfections in the paint, the front spring stops not being removed, and an annoying sticker that I had to peal off the car, I am very happy with the truly amazing little diesel Golf. It really is a great little car and a joy to drive. I think the Dynaudio sounds amazing, the iPod works perfectly, the Nav looks very cool, and the xenon lights that turn while I corner are very slick.

One more thing. The color is awesome. It changes depending on the light, from a dark gray graphite color to a dark deep blue. It is a very sophisticated color. I am very pleased with the way the car looks. Also the Porto wheels are pretty nice. In pictures and during my test drives, I didn't realize the spokes were twisted inward for each V-section. The wheels are very cool, but I changed them anyway. Mostly I thought the offset was to high and they were only 7" wide. I love the silver calipers. Again, I think this gives a more sophisticated look, compared to the red calipers on the GTIs.

My new car
2010 Golf TDI 4-door, manual, blue graphite metallic (W9W9) , sunroof (3FE), xenon (P83), dynaudio (9VE), RNS-510 navigation (P71), chrome exhaust tips (GTE), mat kit (GKM), bluetooth (9W7)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Car looks really good in that colour and I especially like the new Porto wheels.
Interesting you can have Chrome exhaust tips, as an option, unlike here in the UK.
I think they finish off the car nicely...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats! Looks great!

I'm puzzled about the mat hooks and 12v outlet being missing. Do you have the mat with the lego bricks? the hooks should be underneath if the mat wasn't pushed down all the way.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
:thumbsup

Looks really nice! If the dullish spot is only noticeable in direct light at an angle it's probably due to harsh compound or polishing tools. It will haze the surface. Some follow up with softer stuff will buff it out. The rears have no suspension blockers. Some cars with 18" wheels had suspension stoppers, they are flat round cylinders on all 4 wheels. I'm not 100% sure why they are used with the bump stops. Pics are in the wheel gallery for 18" 5x112 wheels. The bump stops should be on top of the shock strut and may not be visible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Beautiful car, beautiful pics. Congrats!

You can't see it in pictures but the silver colored xenon headlight "lower eyelids" sparkle in the sunlight.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car looks really good in that colour and I especially like the new Porto wheels.
Interesting you can have Chrome exhaust tips, as an option, unlike here in the UK.
I think they finish off the car nicely...
The color really is great. I do like the tips too, but clearly they should not cost so much. They are just little chrome tips.

Congrats! Looks great!

I'm puzzled about the mat hooks and 12v outlet being missing. Do you have the mat with the lego bricks? the hooks should be underneath if the mat wasn't pushed down all the way.
The lower hooks are there just not the bag hooks at the top of the hatch and no power outlet in the rear. Without the upper hooks, you can’t mount the net across the rear of the hatch. It isn’t a big deal to me, but it is clearly different than the cars I checked at the dealer before I got my car. I do have the mat with the lego bricks and I can see all of the lower hooks.

:thumbsup
Looks really nice! If the dullish spot is only noticeable in direct light at an angle it's probably due to harsh compound or polishing tools. It will haze the surface. Some follow up with softer stuff will buff it out. The rears have no suspension blockers. Some cars with 18" wheels had suspension stoppers, they are flat round cylinders on all 4 wheels. I'm not 100% sure why they are used with the bump stops. Pics are in the wheel gallery for 18" 5x112 wheels. The bump stops should be on top of the shock strut and may not be visible.
Thanks, yes I think they are just the bump stops. I’m hoping I can get a paint shop to tell me if they can easily fix the dull spot without paint, just professional polishing. Unfortunately I got there too late yesterday and they already closed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Since it's fully loaded, where can you go from here but power mods ;)?

New bump stops are usually nice and yellow and are knobbish in shape. They turn brown after exposure. A good detailier can buff out any dull spot. See if the dealer will agree to pay to have it done at a local shop. The guys at the dealerships usually just wipe the car down, sometimes with dirty towels. The defect could have even been done at the factory. A paint shop usually does just that: paint....so beware of any suggestion from them to repaint.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Rainy day - 2nd full day of ownership. Drove 100 miles to meet a friend for some VAG-COM changes. It was an overcast day, with rain in the morning but a little brighter when I took the photos. The car was dirty after 100 miles of driving on the highway in the rain.

I wrote this in another forum, but it is worth repeating here. The car is amazing on the highway. I went up to 100 mph a few times just as a test. It was effortless and there was plenty of room for more. This car can truly gobble up interstate roadways, just as I read in one of the reviews.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts