VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, using the guide on this website (http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/keylessentry.htm), I was able to figure out that the 98 Jetta I bought a couple years ago has the white keyless entry box. When I got the car there was no remote, so I went ahead and bought a Clarion remote.

So... I can't get the remote to work....

When I put a key in the ignition to "ON" but not started, I can then close all doors and hold the key in the driver's door to the unlock side at which point I do hear three beeps. Now, according to the directions I should press the unlock button on the new remote and hear a beep. I hear nothing. Nothing happens.

So, what do y'all think? Do you think the new remote is broken? Or do you think I have some other problem??? If the car beeps three times when doing the test, does that mean my wireless module works, or could something still be wrong with it?

Thanks!
David

·
Registered
482 Posts
Check the FCC number on the remote vs the keyless entry box. If you do hear the 3 beeps then you should have keyless entry.

It's possible the remote is not the same FCC number as the box. They have to match. Try press and hold the button? Try press and hold lock?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
When I unlock the door I hear one beep. Are you holding the key while you press the button? I think you are supposed to let go but I'm not sure if it makes any difference. The following is copy of the remote program instructions:

Plug in the new module and reconnect the battery, and prepare to run the following test.
  1. Program the remote by inserting 1 key in the ignition switch to ON (not start)
  2. Close the doors, hood, trunk, etc.
  3. With 1 key in the ingition to ON, turn and hold another key in the driver's door lock to UNLOCK and hold for 15 seconds, or until you hear a beep, let go of the door key and let the key return to neutral.
  4. Press UNLOCK on each remote, you should now hear a beep.
  5. Turn the door key to UNLOCK, you should now hear another beep, remove all keys.
  6. The remote should now unlock the doors.
If the 98 Jetta has a white box I'm pretty sure it had keyless entry. Check the FCC number on the remote but I think it should work - it should be m3ghu01wt.

If your box has an FCC number of m3ghu01wr it is the correct remote and there's some problem when you're programming the remote or an antenna/wiring problem.

All the alarm troubleshooting steps are here: You just have to go through it

http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/a3b4_alarm_troubleshooting.htm

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bad wiring at the harness or battery? The key normally locks or unlocks and rolls the windows down when you hold it to lock or unlock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad wiring at the harness or battery? The key normally locks or unlocks and rolls the windows down when you hold it to lock or unlock.
The key does lock or unlock the doors. It doesn't do the windows because I have manual windows. The key isn't the problem, everything seems to be doing what it's supposed to except the remote.

David

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I got the remote working by pulling the alarm module out and putting the remote up to the module. So my problem is that the module is not picking up the signal from the remote. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Also, the remote doesn't lock the doors, I read somewhere that this is normal. Seems weird, is it indeed the way it should be?

Thanks,
David

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's normal if you just added a white keyless box without adding a jumper, it's hard to draw any further conclusions about why it doesn't work. The weak reception is not normal. First go through alarm troubleshooting here: http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/a3b4_alarm_troubleshooting.htm

some ideas: someone tried to add keyless entry but that would be unusual that they didn't have the remote or jumper wire to make the doors lock. Adding a jumper wire should make it lock but check and test your wiring harness as mentioned in the instructions to verify the correct wiring before jumping wires!

the antenna on the module could be weak or the remote could be defective.

another possibility: some random module problem that would explain both the weak reception and not locking the door. Hopefully it's a simple ground or other problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
try this. hook everything back up. press the lock button on the remote. wait more than 70 seconds. does it lock?
You're a genius. Crazy as it is, trying to get the remote to work has been on hold for almost 2 years now. I decided to give it a go today. Here are my results...

Horrible reception, I literally have to be 1 inch away from the unit. Tried adjusting the antenna and it didn't work.

Doors unlock. Trunk unlocks. Doors lock after 60 seconds of the red light flashing by the driver's door lock.

So....

Should I just extend the range of the antenna by hooking it up to the car stereo antenna?

Or is there another way that will make it so the unit that only works from 1 inch away will work better?

How do I get the doors to lock right away?

Thanks,
David

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Check the module for bad soldering like cracking or bad wiring? This sounds like an antenna problem, maybe a grounding problem or something shorting out. Check all the wiring for shorts. The wire diagram is in the article.

Also, have you checked the door boot wiring harness for cracks or shorts? This was a common problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, these is where I'm at right now....

The first thing I'm going to do is test my banjo remote at Autozone after Thanksgiving in order to make sure that the reception problem is not because of the remote. If it's the remote, that's easy, get a new remote. If it's not, the antenna in the control module is bad and I can try to do a mod to use the car stereo antenna.

Now when it comes to the doors not locking right away, this is what I've found out.... the alarm system turns on when I click the lock button on the remote but the doors don't lock nor does the alarm arm itself for 60 or so seconds. Upon doing research I've realized that my alarm doesn't arm when I use the key either for 60 seconds or so. When I use the key, the doors lock right away and the red light blinks, but I don't hear the horn sound off for 60 or so seconds. So my problem is not related to the wireless remote. What I've been finding out if that if the door switches or trunk or hood switches are bad, then the alarm will not arm right away because it doesn't think everything is closed.

So I tested all 6. The doors all function properly, alarm goes off if I open them when it's armed. The trunk went off when I opened it using the button in the center console, but it didn't go off when I used the key. The hood could be opened and closed and had no affect on the alarm. So my hood switch could be bad. My trunk switch is maybe bad, why would using the key not set off the alarm, but using the center console button would? Or it could be something else?

Thanks,
David

PS. I got scolded on another VW forum for not knowing the details of how the alarm system works and asking too many questions. I hope that this site with all it's amazing how-to's is more friendly to someone who simply doesn't know every detail of how my 12 year old car that I've only had for 2 years was supposed to work when it came off the factory line.

PPS. And I have already fixed wires in the boot before and I don't believe any are broken right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issues

I have been working on this issue for a week now and have traced out every inch of wiring, switches, bulbs, door locks, control module, fobs ect. I have followed the diagnostic write up and checked wires for continuity and voltage. I have finally got the system to work on all the functions, but the range is only 1 foot from module itself. Will not operate with door window rolled up. I have tried the antenna extension and I have to be within 1 inch of antenna with the doors closed though. Board seems good and solders look good. This is the second box used on this car, first one didn't work, but intermitantly.
Any ideas would be appreciated, both units were used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same range issue as other member

I have replaced fobs, module, checked each wire for voltage, isolated each wire and checked for continuity, checked all switches, doors, hood, and trunk. Can't find one on the sunroof, or atleast the keyless does not close it when armed. The first module I got to program once with one fob, and happened to be old one, so tied again. Never could get it to work again for next three hours. Bought new used module and programed both remotes but the range is unusable. Only works from 1 foot away from exposed box, once put back in bracket and close doors will not receive signal. Attached a wire to the antenna and ran it up the a pillar beind the door seal. This allows the use outside the car but from only inches from the wires proimity. I am reaching the frustration point, but really want to be able to open doors and trunk with remote. Any ideas would be welcomed. I have been reading about this and working on my system for over a week now all day everyday and still no closure. I don't like defeat, but I am about ready to install an aftermarket to be done with this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts