VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t

I'm just now realizing how much money I just lost by throwing away the non-working keyfob and saving just the metal key (not the half of the fob, just the key itself) for my keyring.

Apparently there is/was an RFID chip in the fob and the car is now scrap unless I shell out $400 for a new key & programming. That's 15% of the cost of the car.

Now looking to disable the immobilizer system if I can.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You would have to pay a tuner that much to disable the immobilizer. It's tied into the ECU and instrument cluster. You could buy vag com and vag tacho and program the key yourself but that's a few hundred dollars as well. At least now you know. You don't have any working keys right now?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the details on disabling the system - you're correct; too expensive for a 1 time shot.

Nope. Looks like I'll have to tow the car to the dealer for programming. I just had the car towed to my mechanic for a wheel bearing (today!!!) and sent the key blade with the car. Then threw away the other key parts and set the trash out (picked up today, too). Mechanic called to say car starts but dies right away. Did some research and am now looking for inexpensive keys to buy. Sigh.

Where is a good place to get the key-fob and key-end? I found
http://www.51vag.com/vw-key-blade-1j0-837-246-f-p-36.html
http://www.51vag.com/vw-remote-1j0-959-753-dc-p-68.html
for good prices, but the site is buggy and I see no phone number to call.

I'd prefer to pay a little more for overnite service and get the car back on the road. I can use the old key blade in the new key-end to avoid the cutting charge and save a little there.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Try 1stvwparts, they are an OEM dealer in WA. You put Jetta IV for your location so I don't know where you are. Please correct your profile. IT sounds like your mechanic should have known better - they are the pros.

Also, post moved to the mk4 technical forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts