VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2002 Audi A6 with only one key. It's the switchblade type with a 3-button + panic remote attached in the lower section. I have read numerous posts on this subject, many of them dated years ago. I know the following: The key actually consists of 3 parts, a remote, the laser cut key blade, and an RFID transponder chip which communicates to the car's immobilizer functions.

There is supposed to be a key code (SKC secure key code) and an immobilizer pin number that would make the key replacement an easier task. I have determined that the immobilizer on my car is a immo3 version, which has been described as one with a "rolling" RFID and is reported to require keys which have not previously been linked to another car. The SKC and immobilizer pin no. are purposely made very difficult to determine.

The Audi dealers want 10% of the value of the car just to provide a 2nd switchblade key and a valet key which were originally provided when new. There are locksmiths who can cut laser keys. VW dealerships can cut the blade too. There are internet suppliers of both types of supposedly new keys.

I have found electronic code readers which claim to be able to read the immobilizer PIN number via the OBDII connection. VAG has a web site that appears to be an access point for locksmiths and requires a secure registration. The "Geko" system at the Audi dealership is supposed to be able to link a vehicle OBDII port through the dealers computer to the Audi Factory Database, and allow new key blades to be cut and the RFID synchronized to the immobilizer without ever revealing the SKC or pin number to the operator. Of course they charge a lot for the service and demand that you buy the keys at full price from them.

What if I buy new key blanks and then find a locksmith to laser cut the blades. I may be able to find a shop or locksmith who can download the immob pin # with a code reader device. Now what?? How to I know that the "new" key blanks will have compatible RFID chips for the Immo3 version in my Audi? Maybe if I show up at the Audi dealer with the new keys already cut....? Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Even if you know the SKC number you still can't use that number to program the key unless you have more tools to interface with the car. That's like having a phone number to call but no phone.

The cheapest way is to buy a key online already cut, give them your VIN number and you'll get a key already cut. Then take it to dealer and have them program it. They should NOT charge you over 1 hour labor even though you want 2 keys. All keys must be present or else those not present will be locked out. It literally takes under 5 minutes to program. Worst case (unlikely), they have to wait a half hour for the SKC number to come back from the server.

Read the immobilizer FAQ and the mk4 key FAQ article. It's for VW but same ssytem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still trying to get replacement keys

I can find new and used "remote" sections of the key at various on-line vendors and e-bay. Many of the E-bay sellers don't give enough info to assure that they will be compatible. Some are selling complete used remotes with a blank blade...but I believe the RFID chip will need to be new also to work with immo3. If I want a new remote, that is the correct one for my 2002 A6, the best price I found so far is $72 at ECS Tuning. I have found the new blade and transponder section for as cheap as $17, but it will need to be cut to match the key locks then programmed to the immobilizer. Local locksmiths want $45 to cut the blade to match. If I go to Audi and order a new remote with new blade and new RFID chip, they send in my VIN no. and Audi sends a replacement key with blade cut and ready for programming for $135. I would have to find a remote section for less than $70 with free shipping to save any money over the dealer. The local locksmith will take all the transponder keys and "synch" them to the immobilizer for $70, but the dealer charges $115 which is shop rate for 1 hr. I can buy transponder key blanks (no remote)for $20, but the dealer will sell it for $60 cut to my VIN no.

So far the dealer has the best price for both the remote key and the valet key with the blades cut to match my VIN no. at $195 for both. I can save a whopping $45 by having the locksmith "synch" all the keys to the car instead of the dealer. Total cost for both keys will be $265. I sure thought there would be a better price out there somewhere without taking chances with used stuff.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That sounds like a decent price. Find an online parts dealer and give them your vin to get a cut key, then combine with used remote half. I don't know what online dealer has parts cheapest but $195 for 2 isn't that bad. And $115/hour shop rate is normal.

Some charge $250-300 for 1 key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts