VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

This is my first post, great website I be on every day my wife thinks I've lost the plot!

I have a 1999 Passat !.9 engine code AHU. I changed the timing belt last year i used the chuck key for an electric drill as a locking pin, good fit and my AFN pin was miles too big. however the sump was holed since and the engine is now noisy.

I bought another engine supposed to be an AHU engine however the hole for the pump timing pin is much larger more like an AFN engine. My query is this

Were different pumps used on the 90 bhp engines? I live in Ireland and tomorrow is transplant day!

Thanks and please help

Paul

·
Super Moderator
9,577 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul. welcometomyturbodies

Well the pump timing pin on Volkswagen Passat (96-00) 1,9D TDI 1997-00 Engine code: AHU 90hp is Injection pump locking pin - No.3359.

A Volkswagen Passat (96-00) 1,9D TDI 1999-00 Engine code: AVG 110hp is Injection pump sprocket locking pin - No.2064 which looks a bigger diameter.

There is one Volkswagen Passat (96-00) 1,9D TDI 1996-00 Engine code: AFN 110hp that can have a two peice injector pump sprocket Injection pump locking pin - No.3359. An single piece injector pump sprocket uses Injection pump sprocket locking pin - No.2064 as above for those two engines

The Volkswagen Passat (96-00) 1,9D TDI 1997-00 Engine code: AHH 90hp can use either of the two pins as well depending if it has a single piece injector pump sprocket or two peice injector pump sprocket Injection pump.

Can't you find the engine number on the engine?

Now you can normally get away with this using the shank on a drill bit if you have assorted drill bits?

Have a browse through the FAQ to see what the differences are?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you for the quick reply. It's a 1 piece sprocket I have a feeling it's the AFN engine. I just went to a local VW garage the "mechanic" said to change the pump! VW has little interest in older cars I'm more interested in the bhp because of insurance

·
Super Moderator
9,577 Posts
To be honest Paul I'm not sure where the engine code is actually located its obviously the first 3 characters of the engine number which should be on the cyclinder block as other parts can easily be replaced.

Volkswagen engines ID code definition

But if your timing pin is to small as I've said try a drill bit shank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts