VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to have found a place to talk all things TDI. I just got my first diesel Saturday. I had decided a few weeks ago after paying $70 bucks to fill my jeep up that it was the last time I would succumb to 15mpg for a daily driver. After some research I was sold on the prospect of a TDI.

So as of the weekend I am a proud owner of a 2000 Jetta TDI. It is 151,xxx miles new and has H&R springs on it, TSW 18" wheels and the factory wheels, ECS foglights, and Euro tails, smoked marker lights and a K&N filter (which I removed today in leui of a factory Volkswagen filter element. It's a 5 speed car and is overall in great shape. I will be massaging the small issues out of it as I go. I'm not sure if I want to mod it any more or not but here it is as I got it (previous owner took the photo)

·
Registered
17 Posts
wow car looks awesome! If you don't mind my asking how much did you grab it for? Seems like the mk4 jettas are the most expensive out of the tdi's in my area

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The picture makes the tint look darker, it is a lot lighter than the tint I had on the jeep I got rid of to get this tdi. But Arkansas tint laws are fairly lax.

wow car looks awesome! If you don't mind my asking how much did you grab it for? Seems like the mk4 jettas are the most expensive out of the tdi's in my area
Thanks. Man I got this car for a steal, I couldn't find one in the area with less than 250k for under $6k that was 5 speed tdi. I stole this one for $4500! Made me happy, runs great!

Quick question though, should I be able to hear the turbo inside the cabin?

Reason I ask is someone stated that you shouldn't be able to hear it, that it's probably about to blow up. I have been able to hear them on all my gasoline turbo cars and my tdi runs great and pulls hard (for a stock tdi lol)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The picture makes the tint look darker, it is a lot lighter than the tint I had on the jeep I got rid of to get this tdi. But Arkansas tint laws are fairly lax.

Thanks. Man I got this car for a steal, I couldn't find one in the area with less than 250k for under $6k that was 5 speed tdi. I stole this one for $4500! Made me happy, runs great!

Reason I ask is someone stated that you shouldn't be able to hear it, that it's probably about to blow up. I have been able to hear them on all my gasoline turbo cars and my tdi runs great and pulls hard (for a stock tdi lol)
Wow that is a steal!! Congrats! I can't wait on thursday I am picking up a VW Beetle w/ 149k silver from 1999 for 4k. So I would say thats an amazing price. That's how much dealers were selling them with over 200k! Looks like we both got good deals :)

It's okay if you hear the turbo lol that person doesn't know what they're talking about! I used to have a 300D turbo diesel Benz and it sounded like a truck with the turbo spool and it all it was awesome! haha. Enjoy dude and enjoy the turbo sound :)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
RevoTDI as in a revo remap?:D

My turbo sounds like I'm being followed by the cops and it's been that way since I got the car 1.5years ago:)

·
Registered
226 Posts

It depends on the muffler too. On stock exhaust with windows open, a little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure my exhaust is factory. Windows up I can still here it, but not if the radio is on. Windows down it is quite audible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been driving it since saturday, put 300 miles on it so far. My turbo hasn't exploded and the car is running great so I am thinking this is just the way the car sounds. And I like it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts