VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, hoping you can help me out. I have a 2014 VW Passat TDI SE. I just dropped it off at Jiffy Lube for an oil change (we had to buy the oil and filter because they didn't have them on hand). We left and made it about a block before a warning popped up saying "low oil pressure, Engine shutdown." I pushed it back and they said they hadn't tightened the oil filter all the way so we weren't getting pressure, but it shouldn't be a problem. As soon as I hit about 30 mph the glow plug light started flashing and the check engine light came on. After getting home I waited a bit then went out, started the car, and had no indicators. I drove around the block, and as soon as I hit 30 mph the lights came back on. Any info would be helpful. I don't know if they just knocked something loose, or if it's in need of major repair. Just looking for a starting place.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Greetings from Denmark.

1. Don't go to "quick oilchange" shops.
2. Do not drive your car until you check oil level and the filter.
TDI uses paper cartridge filters. I have seen these installed at an angle ruining the filter and blocking the oilway.

The glow plug lights are alarming. Preferably you need to get a scan tool readout.
I would redo the oil change before driving further.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Check your oil level on the dip stick - perhaps it is just low (best case scenario). Don't drive the car until you confirm the oil level. The oil level would have to be pretty low (more than a quart low) to get that kind of warning light though. If the oil level is okay, then you would be checking the filter - perhaps you can just re-seat the filter if not entirely installed correctly. Finally, I think there is a sensor that I have seen knocked loose or disconnected that could be giving false reading of oil pressure. They could have disconnected and forgot to re-connect. I believe it is near or on the oil filter housing itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts