VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Just got a new 2010 Jetta TDI

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  NieFolgen 
#1 ·
Hello all, just got a brand new Jetta TDI and must say its one hell of a car! So far my complaints are minor, off idle torque is weak, so I am working on not stalling as often, and the reverse lockout spring is too soft, so its easy to hit reverse on occasion, but so far I am getting used to it. I look forward to sharing stories with you all, its great to have a diesel!
Jon

PS here are some pics of my car

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h272/jontg428/Jetta TDI/

#3 ·
Arrest me red?

Are you pressing down when you shift into first? That's how you get into reverse normally.
Yes, well actually they call it Salsa red, but any red is a standout to cops hypotheticall speaking. As for hitting reverse, yes, you do press down to get into the reverse gate, but on mine it takes the lightest of pressure to open up the reverse gate, hence a stronger spring for the lockout would be nice. Literally you rest your hand on it and the shifter will go down and unlock the gate, unlike my old Scirocco that you had to push with at least some kind of force to unlock the gate

#5 ·
Yeah I must have heavy arms! I am pretty much used to it now, and the clutch too, so no more stalling like a 16 year old trying to learn how to drive a stick. Car is great, still love it! Miss my Alfa 164 though... May have to get one on the side to have some fun with!

#6 ·
I share your pain with the stalling thing. Just about every car I have owned for the last ~22 years has been a stick. In one week of driving this car I have stalled at least 5 or 6 times. I think it is less the clutch though and more to do with the slight delay in throttle response.

#7 ·
stalling

I just picked up a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan with 6 speed manual the other day. I've owned several older TDI dubs (00-03) and a number of pre-TDI dubs (81-86), and almost exclusively stick shift other vehicles my whole life. I've stalled the darn thing more in the past few days than any car I can remember. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but sheesh, this thing is sensitive to stalling out. Annoyingly so, actually. My 2003 Jetta wagon TDI was the exact opposite...super, super easy to drive as a stick. You almost couldn't stall it. Not anymore...

#9 ·
I share your pain with the stalling thing. Just about every car I have owned for the last ~22 years has been a stick. In one week of driving this car I have stalled at least 5 or 6 times. I think it is less the clutch though and more to do with the slight delay in throttle response.
I just picked up a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan with 6 speed manual the other day. I've owned several older TDI dubs (00-03) and a number of pre-TDI dubs (81-86), and almost exclusively stick shift other vehicles my whole life. I've stalled the darn thing more in the past few days than any car I can remember. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but sheesh, this thing is sensitive to stalling out. Annoyingly so, actually. My 2003 Jetta wagon TDI was the exact opposite...super, super easy to drive as a stick. You almost couldn't stall it. Not anymore...
I wonder why it's like that. Could changing the clutch cylinder make a difference? Is the pedal catching too early or is the engine too sensitive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.