VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought it for my commute of 55 miles one way. its supper clean (typical driver door electrical, headliner, and drum role please... camshaft. I have a stage II cam kit from Bora that I am putting in today. Franko6 suggested that I use a BEW cam instead of the BRM so that's what I went with. This car is a one owner with all the dealership records up to the current mileage of 117xxx. daughter borrowed the car for a few months and had the oil change done and shortly after the cam went out. Obviously the oil was subpar at best. I have the paperwork from a VW dealer showing the diagnosis.
Wish me luck. I also got a Malone tune, but won't have it for a week. BTW, I was very impressed with the help from Bora, they went above and beyond to get my parts to me fast and help me out.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
welcometomyturbodies
Glad to have you aboard! The DIY is the mk5 section, tons of tips in the camshaft DIY and probably a few you hadn't thought of yet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too just purchased an 06' Jetta. I have to do the cam as well before I swap the motor into my Jeep. Out of curiosity, what was the reasoning for going with the BEW instead of the BRM cam?

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
welcometomyturbodies
Glad to have you aboard! The DIY is the mk5 section, tons of tips in the camshaft DIY and probably a few you hadn't thought of yet!
I too just purchased an 06' Jetta. I have to do the cam as well before I swap the motor into my Jeep. Out of curiosity, what was the reasoning for going with the BEW instead of the BRM cam?
This is an old intro which Chitty sold to the wrong company..

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Myturbodiesel moving on

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Super Moderator
VW Jetta TDI Mk5 2005.5 BRM
26 Posts
I believe the OEM BRM cam is known for having a flaw in the manufacturing process that means the hardened layer of the cam was much thinner than it should have been, and once it wore through that thin layer, it would wear very quickly. Go to the wiki page here: VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum, press CTRL+F, type in "camshaft," and you'll find all the info you need. I'll PM you this info as well, as Keithuk has been deleting my replies as I try to help out.

Here's another link to cam related info on the forum: Camshaft lobe lifter wear on VW Audi TDI PD engine and replacement DIY. Since replacing my cam, I've used 505.01 spec 5w-40 oil, which can be a bit tough to find in stores, but is good all year. You can get the good stuff on Amazon (Pentosin HP2) in a 20L jug for about as much as the cheaper stuff costs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts