VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I own a 1987 Jetta Turbo Diesel, I have it 3 years now and really love it.
I have a problem and would like some input into what happened to it.
This is my first time trying to fix a car, What happened is, I had to change the rad hose, then I accedently cut into the hose that goes from the coolant pump to the coolant reserve container, I got all that done, now it won't start, it ran great when I parked it there. (approx. 7 weeks ago)
I get in the car and all the lights come on, it buzzes the normal seat belt buzz, the glow plug light works, but when I turn the key, the engine doesn't make a sound. I've cleaned both battery cables, and the ground wire on the engine near the top, I'm trying to get the blue wire off (it's the other ground to the battery) to clean it too, I cleaned the starter wires.
I also was spraying WD-40 too. Would the WD-40 prevent a wire from connecting?
The battery is brand new, so is the Altenator, the Starter too is fairly new.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
On the side of the starter motor is a smaller round thing, get someone to turn the key while you hit it with a crowbar or hammer if you can get to it, it's probably sticking from sitting around. Also make sure the little wire going to it is ok and is connected, it's the starter solonoid and it's that that connects the power to the starter motor, if it doesn't click at all then that's where you'll need to start.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much..It was the wire on the starter, I had taken it off to clean it, (before I tried to start to start the first time)
Then I guess I put it all back together and didn't realize I hid the slip-in-wire with the bigger wires. oops!
It's running again now.

Thank you very very much! I really appreciate it, thank goodness these forums are here so we can all converse like this.
I can hardly wait to go out for a spin in it again. (I'm all greasy)

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After I filled the anti freeze up, and got it circulating i noticed there is a light steam coming from the reserve.
Is this normal?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
O, my own intro? I'm brand new here, When I registered, I did see a profile place, but I was so intense on getting my car on the road I kinda bypassed it.

I will make a comment this evening, Thank you.
I don't mind getting my hands greasy at all, I really like to learn about what makes my vw tick. I love my vw.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ok, I put some pics up. Check out the trunk! Huge.
Is my thread useful now? hehe. cute.
I got the engine up too, and more.

The fans not working for the rad(?) I'm going to see if I switched the wires around. It's steaming a bit, (from the container) and the engine itself feels warm, so does the rad hose, (close to the engine) but not at the rad. The hose to the coolant container is kinda hot, and so is the hose coming from the motor. I put a bandaid on it for tonight though.
I looked, and it looks like I might have, but I don't really know what they're suppose to look like, but the big wire is overtop the fan wire. so....(?)
If you need a different pic from a certain angle, just let me know please. Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
T Bolt Location????

I have to take the coolant pump off my 87 Jetta Turbo, I can't find this T Bolt.
I have the big VW book here, but it isn't saying exactly where this bolt is.
Does anyone happen to know where it is?

It says something about a camshaft and drive belt. It says it fastens to the coolant pump .

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I haven't a clue what the td engine looks like but does it look anything like this one in the 1Z/AHU?:)

Ps you're a bit of a poser lol:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
1Z/AHU? Are you teasing me again. and what about that word poser? is that a play on words? tee hehe........
So, today I ran out to my car like hurcagirl, grabbed a wrench, wrenched and broke the bolt. yikes, and, oh dear.
It took me all day just to do this and take 4 other bolts off, I learned in order to tighten a bolt I go clockwise, and to loosen a bolt, I go counterclockwise. (important tidbit)
the pump, gasket & alt. belt were delivered, and it looks like the same pump, and I really hope it is.

But..........do I take off the pulley from the pump first, or do I unbolt the pump from the motor?
I don't know which one is going to release the pump into my hand.

Anyone?....p.s. I didn't even break a nail yet girls!
Here's a couple more pics of all the action. the picture with the glove? I was doing it the wrong way, I thought I was loosening the bolt but, I was tightening it oops.. but this isn't the bolt that broke.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Oops I forgot the link in that last post, what is you're trying to do as in why do you want to remove the pump?

Are you still at the water pump? Is it a complete pump or a half pump? Either way do you not need to remove the pulley to get to the water pump bolts?

This is the link I MEANT to post before lol, DOH!

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a3b4/water-pump-vw-passat-jetta.htm

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
It took me all day just to do this and take 4 other bolts off, I learned in order to tighten a bolt I go clockwise, and to loosen a bolt, I go counterclockwise.
lol :nana2::laugh:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Seatman.. I checked the link out, it's a good link too.
I just added 3 more pics of the new coolant pump.

o.. I don't need to take pulley off to get pump off? Thanks!
It looks like there's 9 bolts holding the pump to engine/ according to this new pump. Once I find those 9 bolts, and get them off, the pump will be in my hand? Nothing to do with the pulley!? O GOOD!!
They're allen keys that take those pulleys off. Except for the where the coolant pump pulley is. It had 3 short bolts, I took them off. If it's 9 bolts I have to find to take off, I'm guessing they're still in hiding.
I also took the black cover off, it says vw where the bolt is,(the only bolt that holds it on) and inside of there is a big belt and some other stuff, do you think this is where the remaining bolts are??, in there? Alls I have to do, (i think) is, get the pump off it, I cut the Alt. belt off. It looks like the pump point goes right into the pulley. Maybe if I can get that pulley off, it'll come off? The pulley seems stuck though. Maybe it's that belt? (the 2nd belt with the alt. belt)

Keith.. I'll report back I've did twice as much, tomorrow. That's 2 busted bolts and 8 other bolts removed. hehe, but I'm hoping to get the whole pump off, and hopefully get the new one on. Then the 1/2 and 1/2 , then, vroom vrooom. (I'm only hoping that is)
O.. Have a great loong wknd!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I don't know about your engine but when I did the one on the AFN (like a 1Z but faster) I had to remove the timing belt and some of the bolts were hidden behind the oil pump pulley.

On another note, I'm doing my steering rack so I'll be having fun too lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1st timer won't be the last timer, I needed a sledge hammer today. I took more progress pics today, I got a little bit accomplished, it's all adding up, bolt by bolt..step by step, lots of patients, and learning to improvise with the tools.
I managed to get the fly wheel pulley thing off from the coolant pump, I also have one other pulley wheel off now, I just don't know if I really really have to remove the 3rd wheel.
It's stripped! not by me though, someone beat me to it.
As soon as the pulley slid off..the 2nd belt did too.

I'm learning as I go, and with help from here, I should be good to go soon. I learn more by actually doing it, than I was by reading the big vw book, it's not complete.
And now that I found this place, I'm all set. I feel 100% confident now, cuz I know I can come here, read everyones stuff, gives me ideas, ask the Administrator, ask others, It's all good.

Does anyone know how I'm going to the rest of that broken off bolt out of (it's house) that's what's worrying me now, and so is..the stripped allen key bolt.
Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Thanks Seatman!! Now that you mention it, and I followed your link, I think I saw some of those torx tools pieces, in the toolbox thing I bought. Wow!! Hey!!.... I didn't know what those things would be for, and I never gave it a second thought.
I'll get a helicoil and give it a whirl. (of course it's the long wknd you know)
I thought maybe I should buy some of that weld goop stuff, and when it dried, it would be all metal again, and kinda.. filled in. like it would goop-weld it all up for me, goop-weld the rest of the bolt, to itself. (all better)
I don't know what to think of that though.

Thank you very much. .... I can hardly wait til daybreak now! I'll put the torx to it. hehe. oops. hahahhaha. oh oh.......
have a groovy night Seatman. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Lol I'm having a groovy morning, it's 3.30am here, I'm fitting my steering rack today, was going to do it yesterday but it's been peeing with rain all day.

If the broken bolt is flat enough on the end and you can drill a small hole in the centre then you might be able to bang in a small torx bit to remove it too, it might also go horibbly wrong though.:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
3:30 a.m. Wow.. early bird get the steering rack done. Cool.
How's it coming? Did you bust your knuckles? Did you cuss, and wake the neighbors? hehe.
I hope it goes good for you there.
And not horribly wrong.
The broken bolt is inside the chamber. (still) I can't seem to get those allen key things off, they're on the end of a pulley. (that's where the stripped one is too) o boy!
treck treck. treckin like a trooper. There's no room for me put a drill anywhere near it, you should see the room to work with. none! I'm going to again tomorrow tho, cuz it's a good idea. Even if I have to take the belt off, I have to get that bolt out of the somehow. It's for the coolant pump.
I almost phoned the tow, and had the vw floated over to the dealer, and have them fix it,
but I'm so determined, I really want to fix it. Now that I can't get the lower drive belt cover off, re: the stripped pulley thing, I'm cutting the cover now, I should have it off by tomorrow. ( i hopes) then I can see what's going on in there, I'm thinking I might not have to take the surpintine(?)belt off to change the pump. I traced the pump to a piece of paper, then put the paper in there, and it could look like I just might be able to pass taking the gear thing and drive belt off. but, (?)

So for 2 days now, I've been trying to get those allen key things off the pulley, I started cutting it just a couple hors ago. I'm going to go buy a tool thing so it does the work and I press the button. He said it's 1/2 in. but I can buy attachments too.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts