VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, the metal flakes can bounce around the head and although debris should drip back down to the pan with the oil I'm not sure of the route it exactly takes back down to the pan. If it's really bad I think I remember someone saying that it caused their timing belt to jump when the cam got jammed on a really bad worn lifter. I don't know if there was another cause there but if the camshaft is only very slightly worn I wouldn't worry about driving on it for another month. It's a calculated risk and many have driven around on worse worn cams. If it's so worn that you can immediately see dished lifters and rounded lobes I would repair immediatly since you're already at the point of very accelerated wear and at risk for cracking the lifter tops.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You will also need to inspect the oil pump which is down in the sump. Removal of the crank case is necessary. The oil pump draws oil directly out of the sump, then it goes to oil filter, so your pump will see all of the metal shavings and nitride bits from the cam followers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mechanic friend of mine at one of the dealers said he normally saw these things come in with an intake valve through the lifter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts