VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, not just sales of the Jetta but 17% of all VW sales in the America!

"Mark Barnes, Volkswagen of America's chief operating officer, said: "This is the toughest economic environment we've seen in a long time, and it presents a significant challenge." He added: "Nevertheless, our clean diesel TDIs continue to sell very well even in this tough economy and represented 17 percent of our monthly sales." Volkswagen of America said November 2008 sales dropped 19.2 percent versus a year ago.

American Honda posted November sales of 76,233, a decline of 31.6 percent versus November 2007. The Acura division recorded a November sales decrease of 38.9 percent compared with November 2007. Acura's rival Lexus did not fare much better. Toyota said Lexus recorded a drop of 40 percent versus November 2007.

"http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=137007

D

·
0 Posts
Sounds like 2005 when VW's diesels were a big part of sales due to high fuel.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Wow, I thought Honda was doing well. Toyota isn't doing well either, I thought it was just the big 3.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep, right after Katrina the diesels were a major drive behind VW's sales numbers. I think the Jetta wagon was offered longer in 2005, the last year, in diesel longer than gasser as well.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I think right now is a great time to buy. Diesel prices are higher and car sales are flat. Even if they are 17%, the "waiting lists" evaporated a few months after the car came out. And it's the winter, when car sales normally go down. The perfect storm.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
That's what I said....every single "hot" car except for exotics, has come down from their markups. It might take 2 months, it might take a year and a half, but the markups are usually so much that you'd be better off spending that money elsewhere or investing it instead of putting it into a heavily depreciating asset. Paying a markup guarantees a big hit as soon as you drive off the lot.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I'd be surprised if they were keeping the pace, even Honda and Toyota are hurting and TDI sedans are stacking up on dealer lots.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Our local dealer has no TDI's on the lot it is order only. So there is no test drive :dunno

Wow, not just sales of the Jetta but 17% of all VW sales in the America!

"Mark Barnes, Volkswagen of America's chief operating officer, said: "This is the toughest economic environment we've seen in a long time, and it presents a significant challenge." He added: "Nevertheless, our clean diesel TDIs continue to sell very well even in this tough economy and represented 17 percent of our monthly sales." Volkswagen of America said November 2008 sales dropped 19.2 percent versus a year ago.

American Honda posted November sales of 76,233, a decline of 31.6 percent versus November 2007. The Acura division recorded a November sales decrease of 38.9 percent compared with November 2007. Acura's rival Lexus did not fare much better. Toyota said Lexus recorded a drop of 40 percent versus tires cars November 2007.

"http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=137007

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Find the car you want @ cars.com

I read that source somewhere in the forum section of myturbodiesel and it works very well as a starting place to find TDIs. Dealer names and locations are listed along with phone number to check for current stock of each car listed.
Last week I found only 140 Golf TDIs in the U.S.A. but the model I want is not even close to where I live.
Good hunting!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts