VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to purchase either a 2011 or 2012 Jetta TDI but as I live part time in central Mexico I have a bit of a concern. As I understand, for 2011 Mexico now sells the Jetta TDI with a common rail engine whose specifications appear (almost) identical to the USA. 1984cm3, 140HP @ 4200 rpm and 320Nm @2500rpm(236 ft-lbs). As you are aware in central Mexico, ultra low sulfur fuel is not available which is definitely a requirement for the USA common rail diesel. I have tried to determine here in Mexico what modifications, if any, have been made such that there are no problems with the high sulfur content to the DPF plugging and catalyst failure , but I can not get a satisfactory answer. Help!!!
As an aside it appears the TDI has been very popular in Mexico and dealers have almost no 2011's left for sale. The dealerships state that there have not been any problems with the emission system.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
My guess is that there is no DPF. The DPF system would quickly be clogged with soot if they did. If you find out, please post a follow up!

If the TDI has any soot on the inside of the exhaust pipe it does not have a DPF. I have seen high mileage new TDI with DPF and the inside of the exhaust pipe is very clean. My 2006 is black and sooty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts