VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I have a 2004 Jetta TDI. I have a question regarding the Turbocharger. My car is running on limp mode. I plugged in the OBDII and it says Turbocharger. I removed the Turbocharge and inspected it but I did not see any physical or mechanical damage. One thing I noticed while removing the turbocharger was a broken vacuum valve on the right side of the engine just above the exhaust manifold. Will that have any effect on the power of the engine? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer your main question, yes ANY broken vacuum lines or valves will have a HUGE effect on your Turbo and usually cause power loss and limp mode.

To your second question if the vanes move the full travel and the ends of the turbo and impeller shafts don't wiggle much with your fingers and spin freely it turbo is very likely okay.
Thank you for your inputs. I reinstalled the turbocharger yesterday and changed the vacuum valve. Test drove it and it seemed ok. Cleaned the engine with degreaser and rinsed it with water. When I test drove it again today, it feels like it's in limp mode again. I guess I need to check the lines and if there's anything that came off or may have been affected by the water when I rinsed it this morning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts