VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new TDI has just 16k miles and the ECM failed, the car just died a few times, dealer did nothing but to charge the batter, dealer is trying to protect VW here and disclosing how on earth an ECM failed that soon! Now it wont even start, dealer is replacing the ECM. I bet its due to some turbo failure or a deisel engine issues. The new TDI is horribly unreliable, 3 months back I had ASR issue, many fuses died and all of a sudden the ECM failed. Anyinsights on this? Please?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Maybe your car was built on a Monday morning? There is obviously some electrical problem if many fuses died and the ECM failed before and again. It's also possible that it was misdiagnosed the first time and they messed up something else while fixing the first problem. Call the dealer and see what error codes there is. Please post them here and maybe it can help.

If you cannot get any solution then I would push to have it classified as a lemon. But don't expect any help from VW after that. If you still want one buy it from another dealer.

It is possible though that the ECM really is bad and is the cause of these problems. The fact is that there are thousands of components in a car and a certain percentage of them will be defective or out of spec. That's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FIX on Tuesday

The ECM simply cannot fail like that, glow plug warning also lit up when the car died each time. Must be a Turbo or an EGR failure which lead to this screw up. Do you guys think I have a shot at lemon law proceedings here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No fix in sight

Almost 3 weeks at the dealer now, they cant find the ECM made by Bosch which goes in these TDIs (what a joke). So much for realiability and the Green car of the year! I can not trust this car anymore, even after its "fixed", I almost had a two freeway wrecks in LA when the car died with ECM failures. VW is extremely defaint and arrogant about the who situation, really unfortunate.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It sounds like you're fed up, now is the time to talk to an attorney. Are they out of stock on the ECM or they can't find it on the car? I thought you said they already tried replacing the ECM? If the car died this many times and they cannot fix it then return it. Some states have a time limit on how long is required to lemon law it, 3 weeks sounds about right but you need to contact an attorney familiar with your local state laws.

·
Super Moderator
9,158 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

My new TDI has just 16k miles and the ECM failed
If you knew which TDI you have that would be great as you show nothing in you Car: spec please add it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts