VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Shortly before I changed the coolant pump in my Jetta, the turn-button for the heat/cool (kind of went) the button won't turn past 1. It stays blowing at the #1 level.

This car has 1 then, (sign language for defrost) then 2 and then 3, for maximum heat or cool.
Then the coolant pump went, months after.

So the new coolant pump's in, and this is the problem it has..

Heat mode..Defrost works like it should.

Feet mode, it comes out the blow on me vent, a bit comes out the defrost too,

On the floor and blow on me combined mode..it blows on me.

The blow on me mode alone..works like it should.

...........................................................................................................................................

All the cool modes, work like they should.

I was just out there for a few hours tinkering around, the 1st time I started it, all the hoses got hot except for the rad hose closest to the rad itself. It stayed cool there.

The same thing the 2nd time I tried it awhile later.

The 3rd time I started it up, the coolant reserve level rose to almost overflow, it might have overflowed if I left it running. The level was right at the rim of the reserve, It's a no rad cap car, and the rad hose at the rad was hot too.
I got nervous and shut it off, and came here to see if someone can help with this heat thing

""**!!""!!..Is it ok to drive it?

? :ugh

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Possibly the thermostat stuck shut or there's still air in the cooling system, I fill the tank to the max mark then start the car and let it warm up a little at the same time I'll give it a little rev upto around 2000-2500 rpm and recheck the level, I then top up to the max again and put the lid on. I'm not sure what the setup is like on the jetta though, you may need to do something to raise the coolant tank while purging the air.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
How do I get the air out?
revving it?
it doesn't have a rev spidometer. only how many (duel)km/mph and a clock.
it did have little air bubbles when I left it, and the reserve level was goin down a bit. slowly.

Shania Twain....Rev it up, Rev it up, til your engine blowz. hehe.
she's from an Indian Reserve not to far from me. (off topic, i know) her name's not Shania either, that's just her stage name.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It should come out through normal driving unless you have a really big bubble in there. Look for a high spot on the coolant hoses. Disconnect that hose and raise it high. Then fill the coolant until fluid at the reservoir is full or fluid comes out of the hose. Then reattach the hose.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
I stand back in amazement a new thread? :nana2:

·
Registered
178 Posts
ok chitty.. I'm going to try it come daylight (i fell azleep earlier) must be exhausted from me vdub.
The highest point is right at the coolant reservoir. WoW.. I'm really fixing my car!! I only needed man muscle bolt remover 2 times, and I didn't even ask for it, I just kept shredding down the coolant pump & the crank allen key bolts all by mytelf.

It's gonna be my little dream machine again once this air bubble is out.
Turbo Time. 5 speed. My sisters has a sunroof.

Yes Keith, a new thread, and to be honest Seatman, I was totally thinking of Keith when I was @ the vw thinking, this is a new thread, instantly I thought of Keith.

and I think chittychittybangbang just gave me the antidote. thanks chitty.
I'm on it.

Between the vw book which doesn't tell me vital stuff I've needed to know, and finding This place, I have my doubts the jetta would even be running right now, it took me a good 2 or 3 weeks to figure out what the coolant pump is, and where it was. (maybe longer, I'm not sure) but it's been sittin there since snow was on the ground. Nothing was coming together til I found this place.

Awesome! .......Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
offtopic2

I'm glad something I say rubs off on you jettagirl?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you got me smilin Keith, yes, I do hear you Keith.

I tried both chittys and Seatmans suggestions, nothin doin.
hmm, I fiddled with the wires to the rad fan, some WD-40 dripped out. hmm......

If the timing belt wasn't as tight as it should be, would it make the engine make a noise?
how many miles can I drive it when it's overheated?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
None, you could drive it as far as you wanted but it'd be pretty goosed after, take out the thermostat next I say and fit a lovely new shiny one.:)

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
If the timing belt is too tight then you will hear a whining noise but it won't effect the temperature it only puts extra load on the guide roller bearings.

So the only reason you're saying its overheating is the temp gauge is reading higher then normal?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think the temp. gauge is working, it doesn't move. come to think of it, I haven't seen it move in the 3 yrs I've had it. It has a little red dot, to say "your engine's hot" and of course it has the indicator with the needle indicating how hot it is. right along side the red dot.
but it didn't come on when the pump went.

I'm wondering if a loose timing belt will make a noise similar to the noise like that of the coolant pump going. clank, noise, clanky kind of a bangy noise.

I was watching the timing belt go around, it looked floppy to me. the belt that came off, I couldn't even lift it up when it was on.
The new one I can lift up a bit, but like I said, the new one is floppy in there spinning around.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If it's a manual tensioner you want it so you can twist the belt 90 degrees on the longest side but no more than that. How do you know it's over heating?:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's steam coming out the coolant reserve. and all the hoses are hot. the coolant inside the reserve is hot too.
Like it's getting ready to boil or something.

The fan isn't coming on to cool it down. I hit it with the hammer a couple of times, nothing. not a budge.

The timing belt is twistable 90%. so the flopping is ok then? it's a manual tensioner.

I'm gonna try and upload it onto you tube tomorrow so I can put it here,....... birds eye view.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Timing belt is twistable? It should be tight, how did you set the manual tensioner?

I thought you said the alternator belt was loose? The power steering and water pump run off its own belt right?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I tightened the timing belt with a wrench, the book showed the tensioner has a nut and another thing another funny looking wrench is suppose to hold onto while you tighten it, but this vw doesn't have that, it only has a nut.

The altenator belt is nice and tight now.
I'm not sure about the power steering and the pump belt. All I know so far is, the pump has it's own pulley, it runs off the alt. belt. I'm not sure about the power steering.
There's only 2 belts, the alt. belt, and another smaller one closest to the wheel.

(does that help?) I have pics here too chitty.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Timing belt is twistable? It should be tight, how did you set the manual tensioner?

Yeh chitty, it should twist 90 degrees with difficulty on a manual tensioner, it's either that or you buy a fancy tool to set the tension perfect, I think Jettagirls tensioner doesn't have the automatic spring loaded part like ours (but I'll need to double check that) so you have to set it differently so it's not over tight. That's the way I'm reading it so far.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jettagirl just put a pic of the tensioner in.. (Oh No!! It's The Timing) album. It's the 1st pic.

In album, (87 jetta,) on the 2nd page , the 2nd picture, is a good pic of the thermostat, is it closed??
i need to hear a two letter word, not 3 letter word. teehehe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keith went off topic so I am too, starting in November, this year, everyone will see Canadian $100.00 bills turned to plastic. no more paper.
By 2013 or 2015, all Canadian money will be plastic money. cept the coins of course.

zowee man. zowee.
bank buddy told me.

I have no doubt the plastic money will be counterfitted too. o boy!
if it's not save the trees, it's save the earth. o boy o boy!!

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
1 - 20 of 89 Posts