VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just got a 2001 Jetta in a vehicle trade. When I went to get the car it would start up and run for 2 seconds and then the engine would die. The car was getting detailed when the problem developed. My niece drove it to the shop and it was running fine. We don't know what they could have done to the car at the shop. During our attemps to get the car stared we noticed that instrument panel was blank not working. No odometer no lights nothing. During our repeated attemts to start the car we notice the instrument panel came to life intermittenly. What would be the most likely cause?

Thanks Terry

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Either bad battery, bad wiring from the battery, bad instrument cluster, or bad instrument cluster wiring. A bad instrument cluster is very likely because of how the instrument cluster is dieing. No instrument cluster = immobilizer is activated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I just got a 2001 Jetta in a vehicle trade. When I went to get the car it would start up and run for 2 seconds and then the engine would die. The car was getting detailed when the problem developed. My niece drove it to the shop and it was running fine. We don't know what they could have done to the car at the shop. During our attemps to get the car stared we noticed that instrument panel was blank not working. No odometer no lights nothing. During our repeated attemts to start the car we notice the instrument panel came to life intermittenly. What would be the most likely cause?

Thanks Terry
Low voltage problem, check the battery voltage, charge if needed, start vehicle, check alternator output when vehicle is running. Clear any ECM and cluster fault codes if possable. VW cluster needs good voltage as mentioned above for immo system to function properly.

Hope this helps..........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts