VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my jetta had code 1248 come on. when driving if you let of the gas for a second or two then step on it again it just seems like it wants to die and even seems like its downshifting as you slow down and starts blowing ALOT of smoke and one time it slowed down so much i had to pull off the road and come to a complete stop then it ran fine but still blew out the extra smoke for a while. other than when this happens it runs great.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
When was the fuel filter last changed? Timing belt? Any recent maintenance history that is unusual or recent?

P1248 is Start of Injection Timing Regulation: Control Deviation http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17656/P1248/004680

Before chasing the expensive problem (injection pump), this sounds like it could be a fuel issue due to the smoke.

Since you mentioned that you had to go to the side of the road and then it ran fine, is relay 109 gray or black? The gray relay is the new one and it can cut off fueling to the injection pump because it controls the ecu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know when the fuel filter was changed but it is a Fram so its not original. I just did the timing belt and it was running great till the car bottomed out and smashed the oil pan so it sat for atleast a month waiting on a new pan, I live in hawaii and there was problems getting the pan. Then after the pan was done now all of a sudden it does this. And I didn't mention the jetta is a 2000

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does fram make fuel filters for TDI? It's supposed to be changed out every 20,000 miles. First see if it's starving for fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll change the filter but just to make a point the car runs excellent and boosts good and has lots of power it only has a problem after you let off the gas for a second or 2 and then step on it again. it does this uphill or downhill. It does have a hard time starting

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds like lack of fuel either at the gas tank (could be clogged), fuel filter, or bad injection pump. The fuel pump is sucking fuel and pushing it out at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I beleive this is also known as 17656 code. I had the same problem earlier this year and changed the fuel filter and the problem was still there. I ended up replacing the pump. Problem fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts