VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I saw a blog about guys going to straight pipes I knew I had to do this.
I bought prebent 2.5" 304 stainless tubing. I had a 0.500" thick 304 stainless flange CNC machined to match the turbo. I do have the cad drawing if anyone wants it.
I cut the tubing into segments and tig welded the seams. The flex pipe is a 2.5" stainless item.
This was a great project and the results were beyond what I expected. On the first drive, my buddy that drives a tricked out WRX was just amazed at the difference this one change made. I wish I would have been able to do a dyno run before and after. The sound is good, my wife lets how you can hear the turbo spool up and when you shut the car off you can hear it spinning down.
The car does have a "fart can" sound at about 2500 to 3000 rpm at certain loads. As I drive the car more I will decide if I want to add a resonator or not.

The pics I am attaching were during the process. The down pipe is a real pain but worth it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Nice one, I've still to try the straight through but am pretty sure I'm heading that way. What's a ported egr valve?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying to find some pics of it before I installed it but you think I could find it among the thousands of pics the kids take... LOL.

Basicly when you look through the EGR valve now, it is the same diameter thru as the area the shutter valve is. I cut out everything and added some epoxy over the areas where the rod for the valve and then smoothed that out. As good a a race pipe with the advantage of the shutter valve. I have a spare valve that I thought I could mod and sell... Maybe exchange...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Good work! Tell it to the people who say that an exhaust won't give any more power because the fueling is computer limited. What mods does his WRX still have? They are very nice cars but I don't know if they're touchy or people just mod them badly which causes problems.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The difference was very noticable. The drivability and responce makes the car a lot more fun to drive. My wife drives a Mits Eclipse GT and she was amazed at the difference. The car revs much easier up to red line. www.idparts.com have a down pipe you can buy premade. It's not cheap but with the expense and time I spent, it's worth it. After looking at the stock down pipe compared to the new one, it's easy to see that this thing flows very well. I did the system in two pieces. I followed the stock locations under the car and when I went over the "axle", that was the last bend. The pipe is straight from that point going at an downward angle out the back of the car. I left a slight angle on the tip to help direct the exhaust downward and toward the drivers side of the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friends WRX is a 2008, with a full exhaust, intake mods and chip. He has only 3000 miles on it. This thing only sees the road if it's very nice out. This this looks better than when it came off the show room floor. He's a bit anal about his vehicles. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Sounds good, I'll have to look into getting hold of one or making one seeing as I'm a bit tight for cash. I quite like the challenge of it but I'll probably just use regular steel.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was tempted to use steel and I think my wife would had preferred I use steel but I looked at it like I'm only doing this one... right? LOL

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I know and stainless looks awesome when it gets hot and starts going blue. I fitted a stainless manifold and down pipe on a petrol car I used to own. I've still got the manifold and downpipe actually hanging up in my garage. Not much use for my tdi though.:D

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats funny. I used to race my Honda CRF450 Supermotard bike and I had a full titanium exhaust that bit the big one. That was a $750.00 ouch. I kept it just because it still looks cool even mangled up. It's called "Art"" now.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Lol I know exactly what you mean, mine isn't mangled though. The wife wont let me put it above the fireplace though.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts