VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the waterpump today from the front end which gives me more room to replace my leaking oil cooler gasket(s). Noticed I have a leak on the back end under what I think is the ERG valve...as seen in this reference photo, I think it's from the mentioned ERG vent hole.

What, if anything, should I be do about this...I like a spotless 1996 Passat Tdi with 250K miles please!

Thanks.

Shawn

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I tapped it and put a nipple there. The nipple leads to a hose. I'd be better to lead the hose to a catch can if not then you could lead it onto the ground.

There's no way to fix it other than to replace the intake manifold or cut off the EGR and do some custom work. Do not plug it since it will prevent the EGR from working properly. Since you got 250k miles out of it, it lasted long enough. If you have to clean the intake then I'd just buy a new intake manifold and drive another 250k miles!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I read the intakes for the non-cooling-egr(s) are the affordable ones. any idea what one would run? I believe it has been 100K according to the previous owner before the carbon build up was cleaned out by a tech.

I do like the "let it leak via a tube idea too"...

will do some searching too...

EDIT: So does it mean the EGR is not working properly then? or working but not properly?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
It's working, it's just leaking oil. If you plug the hole it won't work.

call worldimpex or tdiparts, kermatdi, they might have an intake manifold. you can ask them specifics about what they carry. part number is in here: http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/cleanintake.htm

the one thing about the vent tube is that if it gets clogged in the winter (unlikely) then the bad egr function could throw a check engine light.

Edit - added some clarification on the part numbers in the link above. I believe that J is for EGR cooler, T is without EGR cooler but make sure to double check with your vendor. You might have to refresh the page to see. What's confusing is that J may be for both.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, great info. Sounds like you are on top off the site and may be a better resource then a few others I visit!

:nana2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Be careful to not divert the leak to the exhaust manifold! :eek leaking oil + hot exhaust manifold = engine fire!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Put it in a catchcan or else you'll end up with an oil slick under the car. Oil has a way to crawl around when it's blown by the wind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts