VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've read, it was going into the Honda Accord first. This makes more sense to me since it's a money saver and my thinking is that Accord buyers are more concerned about saving money than Acura buyers. Well this article says otherwise.

"Honda is giving visitors to the Detroit auto show a sneak peek at its future clean diesel engine — on the Acura stand. The i-DTEC, as the engine has been dubbed, is a turbocharged four-cylinder that meets the tough new Tier II Bin 5 emission standards without employing urea injection — a key ingredient in the Mercedes-Benz Bluetec diesel and similar systems.

Instead, the i-DTEC features a unique combustion chamber design and reduced injection time to produce lower emissions, while providing good performance and drivability. Honda would say only that the engine initially will be installed in an unnamed Acura model in 2009. A V6 version of the i-DTEC reportedly is under development and is expected to be widely used in such larger models as the Accord, the MDX, the Odyssey and the Pilot."

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Can't wait for the V6. Honda just seems to have a better reputation when it comes to reliability and dealer service. That it doesn't use urea is even better. Does the V6 planned for the VW like in the touareg need urea injection to meet emissions?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
The upcoming Jetta doesn't use urea injection either. It's not clear if the v6 in the acura will meet emissions because it says it's "under development". I don't think any current bluetec diesels use urea right now.

J

·
0 Posts
"reduced injection time" I am guessing this means very high pressures to get the need amount of fuel in there. This also probably means a decently revving engine.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Maybe they meant that it is going into the Euro Accord, which is the US Acura TSX? That car has the diesel in Euro.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Who knows...

Until it's on the dealership lot and for sale, nothing is certain. From what I've heard, the diesel is going into the accord first and then some other models. The V6 for the US market is vaporware at this point.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was displayed in the Acura stand at the Detroit show, which makes me think that it will be in an Acura first.

D

·
0 Posts
The new Jetta should meet emissions without urea too. I think a lot of it has to do with the new head, the position of the injector, and the common rail high pressure system. It has much better control over fuel injection than the older systems.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
If it proves to be reliable and great to drive, then I would seriously consider an Honda Accord diesel. It's bigger than the Jetta too.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Well, I saw another article that says the i-DTEC is going into the TSX, the Euro accord. I'm guessing that this probably means no manual transmission since most upmarket cars aren't manual. Hopefully they will offer a manual option since diesel drivers tend to go against the grain.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Well, regardless of your opinion of Honda styling [bleah], when they make an engine they do their homework. Depending on how the Euro cars are equipped, maybe it might be worth their while to send over the manual transmission cars to the US.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I don't think there have been many manual acuras, the integra, the rsx, the nsx all came with manuals but the 4 door sedans all had autos IIRC

D

·
0 Posts
I think the Integra came in 4 door with manual. I also think the TSX, the replacement for the Integra and which is the Euro Accord comes in manual, I think it's a 6 speed.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
It looks like the i-dtec will go into the tsx, article below. A V6 is planned for the higher end TL model.

So you remember that i-DTEC diesel engine we showed you at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show? While Honda said that its Acura brand will be the first to offer the clean diesel engine in the North American market, it did not specify which model will carry the ‘greeness’. But according to Honda sources the Acura TSX will be the first to go diesel in 2009, with a redesign coming this spring.

“All along, we’ve said there would be a diesel in Acura,” said **** Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co. “The whole direction is to separate Acura and Honda more. In five to six years, Acura will be a tier 1 luxury brand. The face of Acura will be totally different.”

Honda will also introduce a V6 diesel in 2010 for the Acura TL, the MDX as well as some Honda vehicles including the Accord.

The Honda i-DTEC engine meets the ultra-strict U.S. EPA Tier II Bin 5 emission standards without on-board storage of urea.
http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/01/21/redesigned-acura-tsx-to-go-diesel-in-2009/

J

·
0 Posts
TSX is in the same market as the Jetta and Passat though. The Jetta is about 24, the Passat is about 30 after everything. The TSX is 25 plus everything else, it's about 28 out the door. It seems very reasonable. Maybe putting it in the TSX will give it diesel a more upmarket image than the Accord.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Too bad it looks like this. This is the press release of the first official photo of the 2009 TSX. I think the last generation TSX looked pretty good, this car looks horrible. It even has the retarded upside-down door handles from the current honda accord.

To Acura: It's the grille, stupid!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
What a dissapointment. Acura/Honda and Toyota/Lexus have throughly mangled their car design. I can see how the front grille is reflected in the cutline going from the front of the car to the sides and back, but the large chrome flat area shouts SATURN! Hopefully it drive nice, lol!

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
They released the Euro accord today too. Some details about the i-dtec engine

The Euro Accord will be offered with three high-tech engines, all of which are compliant with stricter Euro 5 emissions regulations. The first is the second-gen i-DTEC diesel producing around 148 horsepower and 258 pound feet of torque at just 2,000 rpm. This will be the same motor that Honda introduces as its first diesel for the U.S. market in the Acura TSX, and we can't wait. Europeans also get their choice of a 2.0L i-VTEC producing 154 horsepower and a 2.4L four-cylinder producing nearly 200 hp and 172 foot pounds of torque. All three engines can be mated to a 6-speed manual, while the gas engines get optional 5-speed automatics, as well.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/geneva-08-preview-honda-unmasks-the-euro-accord/

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
It looks about the same size as the Jetta Sportwagon. The interior looks nice but the exterior is oddly styled. I just don't get it???

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I've noticed that Japanese, US, and German car styling are definitely headed in different directions. I think Ford, Gaddy have that angular look, German cars have that bmw "bangle" look, and Japanese cars have this origami look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts