VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a retired mechanic attempting to help a friend that has a 2.0 TDI (PD)with a broken chain tensioner.
I see information ( very helpful I might add,) about the gear conversion. I'm guessing there is no way to use the older 1.9 PD oil pump / sump and simply do away with all of the balance module?
thanks Larry

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I've heard that someone got rid of the module but they didn't like it. The balance shaft module smooths out the engine and I don't even know what part they used because the oil pump is driven off it.

Read this FAQ for some background on it: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/oil-pump-failure-passat-tdi.htm Part 2 has some repairs and specs. How bad was the failure? If really bad you're looking at removing the crankshaft, possible camshaft repair, turbo repair.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have removed the front crank seal plate.One side of the front metal part that retains the chain dampener shoe was broken and the piece wore a small hole in the seal support, in the area of the sponge/plastic part.this was how I got involved.... (massive oil leak). Vehicle has no lack of oil pressure/lights/buzzers etc. I thought the front seal had blown out, but then found the hole in the cover. I suppose I could pull the pan and merely replace the broken piece, without doing all this "upgrading".

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
VW removed the part number for the chain from the parts catalog....I believe you can still buy a tensioner but it's a horrible design and the chance that it'll just break again is good.

For this amount of work I hope your friend is treating you with a big favor in return! Pulling the pan requires you to drop the subframe for access. IMHO, do the upgrade, put on a new timing belt/rollers/tensioner/water pump, and the car will be good to go for years.

Once the oil pan is off the only additional labor is unbolting the module and putting the new one on. I rent the special tools upon request.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts