VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just looking for some advice regarding my heater. I replaced my thermostat about a week ago because it was taking a long time for my car to reach operating temperatures and therefore get heat into the cabin. After I replaced the thermostat it worked great. I was able to get heat into the cabin in a good amount of time. About 4 days after replacing it I was driving home and turned the heat on but it just blew cold air. As I was driving the temperature guage climbed almost to the red line and then dropped down to the middle again. Since then it has stayed relatively constant with a couple of minor jumps in temperature but no where near what happened the first time.

I checked the hoses that run from the rad and the upper hose is hot and the lower hose is cold. I am not sure how easy they are supposed to be to squeeze but it almost seems like there is nothing in the lines. Also some people told me to check the return line into the resevoir and said it should be dripping coolant back into the tank but it is not doing this on mine. If you guys had any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nyd,

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
First off welcometomyturbodies

It sounds like you've got air in the system somewhere and it's needing bled out somehow, I'm not sure if there's a particular procedure on the Golf but I'm fairly certain that's what the problem is.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome Seatman!

Thats good news if its just an airlock. Now that being said does anyone know the best way to remove and airlock from the 04 pd engines? I would love to resolve this issue before my wife resorts to violence due to the cold air blowing on her :D

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Here are some suggestions at the end of this coolant flush article on a Golf TDI on how to get air out: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/coolant-flush-TDI.htm

It would have to be a lot of air, a little bit of air will just come out naturally.

I would say that the coolant temperature sensor was bad if it were only an instrument gauge problem but you have felt the hoses. When was the timing belt last done and what type of water pump was used: OEM or aftermarket? The OEM have plastic impellers and every once in a while, the shaft will separate from the plastic. This causes the water pump to not circulate coolant. However, one it separates I don't see it working on-off again.

The small return line at the top of the coolant reservoir should have coolant coming out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if there is no coolant comming out of the little return line going into the expansion tank could this be as a result of an airlock or would this mean the waterpump is not working properly? And as far as an airlock goes, could that be something that shows up a few days after adding coolant like what happened in my case?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Well that should be good then so it wont be that, maybe it is the waterpump, it has to be either the pump or an airlock but then I think there's more pressure in the hoses if there's air in them and also as chitty said there should be coolant coming out of the return, mine does that constantly. Did you replace the water pump or do you have the timing belt change coming up soon?:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I bought the car about a month ago the timing belt had been changed but I don't know about the water pump. Maybe I will have to take it to someone and have them look to see if the water pump is new or not? I hope its just an airlock as I don't really want to shell out alot of cash to replace the pump:eek

1 - 11 of 11 Posts