VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Issue with ignition w/ 2006 VW Jetta TDI

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  quintinbryant44 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I need some help with an issue I have with my 2006 TDI, about 2 months ago I noticed when turning the key in the ignition it would be really hard to turn the key into the on position, it would go passed the accessories and lights on mode just fine but after the first click the ignition seemed to struggle with turning, the car turned on fine but after about a month of letting the issue persist it only got worse and got help from a friend to tell me to put a little bit of wd40 in the ignition to loosen the pins in the ignition, I thought maybe the key could also be an issue but it just kept happening, because I didn’t think it was too big of an issue with the car I let it be and see if the wd40 would help over time and would start every time, as of a week now my car won’t get passed the second click and allow me to turn the car on, even when moving the steering wheel for the steering lock to pass - the car still doesn’t want to go passed the first click, I decided to get a new key and reprogram it but it did nothing. I know now it is an issue with the ignition but don’t know where to start or even fix it, hoping someone here could help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.