VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm about to replace the rear passenger side wheel bearings. i noticed some noise from back there and confirmed when changing the rotor and felt the clunking. I took off the dust cap over the axle nut and a PILE of rust fell out. scary.
Then when i took off the dust cap on the other wheel (rear drivers side) there was no rubber seal or visible grease!
as seen in this picture:

so i'm just going to leave it unless all y'all tell me otherwise.
I also welcome random advice for rear hub/wheel bearing finagling -outside of the How-To on this site. and/or advice for break/rotor changing -all wheels.

-Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also why are my new rotors painted?!?
from IDparts.com
"all non contact surfaces painted"

how worried should i be?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I've been advised a few times by 'professionals' to replace both wheel-bearings on an axle if one of them goes. After experiencing problems after replacing brake calipers etc. only on one side and realising that new parts are slightly different sizes (even OEM parts) than the originals, I think it's a pretty good idea. The second one is normally much easier :)

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
15621766_10154302988834163_5279517114486855201_n.jpg
15622063_10154302988824163_6524346106911681222_n.jpg

Yours look better than mine did in my 06 when they went bad. I would also recommend you change both at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts